This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8388 / 50°50'19"N
Longitude: -1.9781 / 1°58'41"W
OS Eastings: 401640
OS Northings: 104368
OS Grid: SU016043
Mapcode National: GBR 317.BQP
Mapcode Global: FRA 66RW.76C
Plus Code: 9C2WR2QC+GQ
Entry Name: Gaunt's House (Dumpton School)
Listing Date: 4 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120104
English Heritage Legacy ID: 107488
Location: Hinton, Dorset, BH21
Civil Parish: Hinton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Hinton Martel St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/06/2020
SU 00 SW
Gaunt's House (Dumpton School)
(Formerly listed as Gaunt's House (Drumpton School))
Country house, used as school. Original building 1809. Architect William Evans of Wimborne, for Sir Richard Carr Glyn. Greatly enlarged and refaced, 1887. Architect George Devey. Brick walls, slate roofs with parapets and coped gables. Brick stacks set irregularly. Mostly two storeys and attic.
Main entrance front has, at left end, a square, four-storeyed tower, with battlemented parapet on corbel table. Raised brick quoins. Two plain sashes on first floor, one on second floor, three on third floor. Right of the tower a range with five Flemish style gables; the centre bay projecting slightly. In this bay, ground and first floors each have two plain triple sashes, under brick hoodmoulds, one similar sash in attic. Left of bay, ground and first floors each have three plain sashes under hoodmoulds; hoodmoulds on first floor linked by string course.Two similar sashes in attic. Right of the bay, two similar sashes on each floor and, at right end, an open stone portico with flat roof and
cornice supported on pairs of Ionic columns. (This may be the original entrance - re-set). On the main roof an octagonal timber bell turret with ogee shaped lead cap and weathervane.
At right end of the house the original 1809 villa projects forward. This also of two storeys and attic. Central multi-flue stack with ornamental cap. Two Flemish style gables linked by balustraded parapet. On ground floor, the original entrance replaced by a Venetian window, with Tuscan pilasters. In the solid tympanum, a terracotta bust of Queen Victoria, with inscriptions commemorating the original building and its extension, - marking Jubilee Year. Flanking this, on ground floor, two sashes with glazing bars each side, with ornamental terracotta plaques over. Five similar sashes on first floor, with stone band course below cills. Two plain sashes in attic. At right end a single storey extension with open parapet. At left end a range of single storey attached outbuildings.
Internally, in original house, stone stair with iron balustrade. Good ornamental plaster ceiling in Drawing Room. Other rooms have enriched cornices, and fireplace surrounds. Some mahogany panelled doors. Reputedly Devey's last work.
Listing NGR: SU0164004368
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings