This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6163 / 54°36'58"N
Longitude: -1.6226 / 1°37'21"W
OS Eastings: 424470
OS Northings: 524631
OS Grid: NZ244246
Mapcode National: GBR KH31.HZ
Mapcode Global: WHC5H.17MG
Entry Name: Middridge Grange Farmhouse
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Last Amended: 16 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110809
Location: Heighington, Darlington, DL4
Civil Parish: Heighington
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Shildon
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 22 SW HEIGHINGTON SHILDON ROAD
(East side, off)
2/58 Middridge Grange
6/6/52 Farmhouse (Formerly listed
as Middridge Grange)
Large farmhouse. Circa 1600 with alterations and additions of c.1690, c.1720,
c.1850 and c.1897. Partly-rendered coursed sandstone rubble. Welsh slate and
pantiled roofs, the latter with stone-flagged eaves. Rebuilt brick chimney
stacks. U-plan with centre filled by c.1720 range; left cross-wing demolished
c. 1850; rear additions c.1897. Now a double-range plan.
Two-gabled entrance front 2 storeys plus attics: c.1720 2-bay left part and
c.1600 wing at right. Quoins at ends and junction. Central partly-glazed
6-panel door in broken-pedimented stone doorcase with eared architrave and
enriched consoles. Flanking 4-pane sashes; replaced casements above, centre
window in narrow architrave; blocked 2-light mullioned windows in both attics.
Coped gables and shaped kneelers; off-centre roof valley to right; end stacks.
4-bay right return has flush quoins. Blocked and altered openings: original
door and window jambs and fragment of hoodmould visible. Left half has late
C17 cross windows under dripmoulds. Replaced windows in flush surrounds at
right. Steeply-pitched roof, pantiled at left with slightly-swept flagged
eaves; Welsh slates to right. End stacks. Truncated external end chimney.
Mutilated left return, originally inner wall of demolished wing, has splayed
first-floor window opening. Steeply-pitched pantiled roof.
2-storey, 2-bay c.1897 rear outshut.
Interior: right wing contains 3 rooms with c.1720 features, including one with
panelling, doors and window shutters and top entablature with pulvinated frieze.
(Blocked chamfered stone doorway behind panelling). 2 upstairs rooms have
similar panelling and bolection-moulded wood chimney-pieces with corniced
Late C19 left rear addition is not of special interest.
Historical note: The home of Colonel Anthony Byerley (died 1667) who garrisoned
the house and commanded a regiment known as "Byerley's Bulldogs" in the service
of Charles I during the Civil War. The farm was the home of the first Arab
horse (The Byerley Turk) in Britain; from this horse and 2 others all British
racing bloodstock is descended.
Derelict at time of survey.
Listing NGR: NZ2447024631
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings