This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5263 / 54°31'34"N
Longitude: -1.555 / 1°33'18"W
OS Eastings: 428895
OS Northings: 514645
OS Grid: NZ288146
Mapcode National: GBR KJL3.47
Mapcode Global: WHC5X.2HSF
Entry Name: The Midland Bank
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Last Amended: 6 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121252
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110699
Location: Darlington, DL3
Electoral Ward/Division: Park East
Built-Up Area: Darlington
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Darlington St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Durham
1. (North Side)
Nos 1 and 2
(The Midland Bank)
(Formerly listed under
NZ 2814 NE 7/19 28.4.52.
Including No 1 Northgate. Early C20 commercial building in modified baroque style.
Main front on Bondgate of 2 and a half storeys, 4 windows. A basement develops
around the curved corner into Northgate. Limestone ashlar. Fairly low pitched
slated roof with moulded eaves cornice. Main entablature at 2nd floor level broken
forward over projecting 2nd and 4th bays and resting on engaged Corinthian columns
in set back 3rd and canted corner bays. Banded rusticated basement. Windows in
moulded architraves: 1st floor with ears, feet and keystones; 2nd and ground floors
with raised centres, the latter also having cornices and pediments. One bay only
on Northgate, similar to outer Bondgate bay.
Listing NGR: NZ2889514645
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings