This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7022 / 54°42'8"N
Longitude: -1.431 / 1°25'51"W
OS Eastings: 436768
OS Northings: 534282
OS Grid: NZ367342
Mapcode National: GBR LGG2.05
Mapcode Global: WHD69.Z2RJ
Entry Name: Trimdon Hall and Hall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 January 1968
Last Amended: 14 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112278
Location: Trimdon, County Durham, TS29
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Trimdon
Built-Up Area: Trimdon
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Upper Skerne
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 33 SE TRIMDON FRONT STREET NORTH
8/78 No. 4
9/1/68 (Trimdon Hall)
and No. 5
as Roper House)
Manor house, later farmhouse, now subdivided into house and farmhouse. Dated
1718 for Bryan Roper in door pediment; probably incorporates C17 fabric;
early C19 alterations. Incised stucco, with ashlar plinth to left, west part;
boulder plinth to rear outshut; painted ashlar dressings; cogged brick eaves
at rear of west bay of right part. Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings
and brick chimneys. Main range with left -cross wing and rear outshuts.
2-storey, 5-window main part with 2-storey, one-bay wing breaking forward
at left; 2-storey, set-back right part has 3 irregular bays. No. 4 at left
consists of cross wing, first bay and ground-floor second bay of main range.
Renewed door in second bay, in architrave under pulvinated frieze and swan-
neck pediment with 'Bryan Roper Anno Domini 1718' incised. 3 ground-floor
and 5 first-floor windows, (the left bay wider and the 2 right ground-floor
windows evenly spaced between the 2 above), all have stucco incised in wedge
lintel shape, and projecting stone sills, with narrow bands of white paint
imitating surrounds. Gabled cross wing has smaller first-floor window on
inner return, and wide windows on front with tooled chamfered lintels and
projecting stone sills; some alterations to soffits of lintels. Right part
has 6-panel door and overlight at extreme left of first wider bay; incised
wedge-shaped lintels to all except wide ground-floor window at centre of 2
right bays. All C20 glazing. Gable copings on wing and at ends of each
section of main range rest on moulded kneelers, those on both main gables of
C18 character, those on cross wing probably C19; roll-moulded finial on cross
wing. Corniced yellow brick chimneys on rear of gable of wing, at junction
with wing and to left of door of No. 4; banded red brick chimneys at right end
of each part of main range, all on ridge. Right return gable shows 2 small
fire windows on ground floor; large patch in render high on first floor
suggests loft door now blocked.
Interior: cross wing has front ground-floor room with deeply-moulded cornice
and top cornice, and wall lining on battens, suggesting panelling either
covered or removed; architrave to splayed window, shutters removed; similar
splay to window above. Owner reports rear ground-floor room of wing had
evidence of wide chimney through ceiling, and smaller gap beside chimney,
suggesting ladder stair. Short passage on first floor ends in renewed door
to rear room under 6-pane overlight with ovolo-moulded early C18 glazing
bars, c.6 centimetres wide. Rear windows in wing have splays to ground level.
Main range has dogleg stair in first bay with panelled grip handrail on boxed-
in balustrade; newels with low moulded caps and pendants: corniced string; upper
end of each balustrade ramped down to accommodate string of next flight.
Remainder of building, Hall Farmhouse, only partly inspected; many 6-panel
doors; wide fire arch in east gable, jambs removed.
Listing NGR: NZ3676834282
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.