This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7017 / 54°42'6"N
Longitude: -1.4264 / 1°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 437063
OS Northings: 534224
OS Grid: NZ370342
Mapcode National: GBR LGG2.ZC
Mapcode Global: WHD6B.221Y
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 9 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121451
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112279
Location: Trimdon, County Durham, TS29
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Trimdon
Built-Up Area: Trimdon
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Upper Skerne
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 33 SE TRIMDON THE GREEN
8/79 Church of St.
9/1/68 Mary Magdalene
Parish church. Norman and later medieval; C19 alterations including 1873-4
north aisle by W. and J. Hay of Liverpool. 3-bay nave with north aisle and
south porch; 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Sandstone rubble, with partial
boulder plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; some brick at ground level at
east end; Welsh slate roof. Gabled porch has slightly-chamfered round-headed
arch to boarded door. 2-light nave windows under relieving arches have been
inserted to replace sash windows, of which straight joints are evidence.
Lower chancel has low-side window with hollow chamfer and round arch; 2
trefoil-headed C19 lights flanking priest's door in 2-centred arch; 3-light
east window with tracery. West elevation has central buttress with offsets
rising to simple gable bellcote; single window in west end of aisle. Roof
on raised eaves, south elevation showing offset at original eaves level.
Cruciform angelus finial; iron cross chancel finial. Catslide roof on aisle.
Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings. Arch-braced roof on roll-
moulded stone corbels, some on south medieval; all rafters collared, with
blocking panels above collars of principals; one large purlin, slightly
trenched. Depressed round-headed chancel arch, now elliptical, on imposts
and chamfered square shafts, the north with broach stops. Arcade of roll-
moulded 2-centred arches on round piers with moulded caps and plinths. South
wall battered. Rerearches, all deeply splayed. C19 octagonal pedestal font
on round shaft with stiff-leaf capital. Boarded pine pews with shaped ends.
Glass mostly plain, with some coloured quarries; low-side window has 1873
medallion glass, gift of church warden. Monuments include small brass in
south chancel wall, with well-cut inscription 'Quam vixit erga cognatos pius
et officiosus - Hocce aes testetur' to Bryan Lencester (sic), died 1759 aged
48, with 'H.S.J.' at head. Eroded stone memorial in chancel floor.
Listing NGR: NZ3706334224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.