This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6227 / 54°37'21"N
Longitude: -2.0794 / 2°4'46"W
OS Eastings: 394967
OS Northings: 525286
OS Grid: NY949252
Mapcode National: GBR FGXZ.LN
Mapcode Global: WHB44.122H
Plus Code: 9C6VJWFC+36
Entry Name: House and Wall Adjacent to Masterman Place Arch
Listing Date: 26 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121590
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111921
Location: Middleton in Teesdale, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Middleton in Teesdale
Built-Up Area: Middleton-in-Teesdale
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Middleton-in-Teesdale
Church of England Diocese: Durham
MIDDLETON IN TEESDALE MASTERMAN PLACE
24/119 House and wall
Reading room, now house. 1854 for London Lead Company. Coursed squared
sandstone with painted tooled ashlar dressings; roof of graduated stone
flags. Rubble sandstone wall. House one storey, 3 bays, with pent right
extension. Central C20 glazed door in tooled stone surround under stone-
bracketed ridged hood. Flanking sashes with fine glazing bars have flat
stone lintels and projecting stone sills. Left return has 2 narrow sashes
in similar style.
Rubble wall at left rear links to arch (q.v.) and has round coping. Right
flat-coped extension to house, with C20 openings, not of special interest.
Sources: W. Fordyce, History and Antiquities of the County Palantine of
Durham - 1857, II p.66.
A. Raistrick, Two Centuries of Industrial Welfare, 1974.
Listing NGR: NY9496725286
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings