This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7676 / 51°46'3"N
Longitude: 0.7656 / 0°45'56"E
OS Eastings: 590928
OS Northings: 211274
OS Grid: TL909112
Mapcode National: GBR RN6.2DV
Mapcode Global: VHKGH.7T3V
Entry Name: Walls and Turrets North West, West and South West of Beckingham Hall
Listing Date: 30 December 1959
Last Amended: 5 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121866
English Heritage Legacy ID: 353211
Location: Tolleshunt Major, Maldon, Essex, CM9
Civil Parish: Tolleshunt Major
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Tolleshunt Major St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TOLLESHUNT MAJOR CHURCH ROAD
TL 91 SW (east side)
Walls and turrets NW,
30.12.59 W and SW of Beckingham
as Boundary Wall at
Walls and turrets of courtyards, 1543-6. Red and blue bricks in irregular bond.
From a point 30 metres NW of Beckingham Hall the wall extends 30 metres to the
WSW, then 40 metres to the SSE (this section including a gatehouse, listed
separately as item 3/106) and then 37 metres to the WNW to join the SW corner of
Beckingham Hall. At the S corner a turret forms one side of a formerly arched
gateway (arch missing), and another turret 4 metres to the SSE forms the other
side, and the wall continues one metre SSE to meet a C19 agricultural building.
Turret at W corner. Height of wall approx. 2.50 metres. Chamfered plinth 0.50
metre wide, main part 0.32 metre wide. Dogtooth course on each side supports
projecting courses 0.55 metre wide; inclined bricks form a steep V-coping, the
edge finished with tile. Approx. 14 metres ENE of the W turret the wall steps
down 5 courses to accommodate to the gradient of the site, with a truncated
corbelled pinnacle at this point. Similar feature in the SE length. Diaper
pattern in blue flared headers on full length of inside, and outside of SW
length only, interrupted by blocked wicket immediately NW of gatehouse. The W
angle turret is round and hollow, with a doorway having a 4-centred head to the
SE; it rises above the wall with a dogtooth course and projecting courses to a
steep pinnacle. The turrets of the S gateway have doorways to the N and NE
respectively, with 4-centred heads, dogtooth courses and projecting courses, and
tapering crenellated parapets. Built for Stephen Beckingham (P. Morant, The
History and Antiquities of Essex, 1768, I, 390) and shown in its relationship to
the (then) larger house on estate map of 1637 by Samuel Cosin (Essex Record
Office, T/M 4/3).
Listing NGR: TL9092811274
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings