History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wetheral, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9031 / 54°54'11"N

Longitude: -2.8343 / 2°50'3"W

OS Eastings: 346600

OS Northings: 556800

OS Grid: NY466568

Mapcode National: GBR 8CNR.55

Mapcode Global: WH804.F1K2

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 1 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1121876

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77738

Location: Wetheral, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Wetheral

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Warwick St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Warwick

Listing Text

NY 45 NE
6/156

WETHERAL
WARWICK
Church of St Leonard

II*
Church. C12, with alterations 1869 by R.J. Withers and 1908-9 by J.H.
Martindale. Dressed red sandstone walls, graduated slate roof with decorative
ridge tiles and coped gables. Nave of 3 bays with porch, chancel of one bay
with semicircular apse. Nave has projecting gabled porch to west with south
facing entrance, dated 1908. Nave has battered plinth, with 2 light and single
pointed lancets of 1869. Stone corbelled bellcote to west gable. Similar
chancel windows with angle buttress having rebus of Prior Thornton of Wetheral,
of early C16. Apse has 13 niches between square pilasters with rounded arches,
pierced by 3 small round-headed lancets. Chancel roof carried over vestry,
projecting from the north wall, dating from 1869. Interior has former tower
arch, which Pevsner dates to c1130, having engaged columns of 2 orders, with
scallop capitals and rounded moulded arch. Barrel vaulted plank ceiling to nave
and chancel, with plastered walls. C19 font and small stone pulpit. Windows
have diamond and square leaded panels of coloured glass, with aid-C19 figurature
stained glass to west window and apse. Various references are made to the
former tower, now demolished. This was a chapel belonging to the Priory of
Wetheral and later to the Dean & Chapter of Carlisle. See Pevsner, Buildings of
England, (C & W volume) p.198.


Listing NGR: NY4660056800

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.