This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7181 / 51°43'5"N
Longitude: 0.5745 / 0°34'28"E
OS Eastings: 577939
OS Northings: 205286
OS Grid: TL779052
Mapcode National: GBR PKW.82G
Mapcode Global: VHJK9.X23R
Entry Name: The Griffin Inn
Listing Date: 29 December 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122164
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112503
Location: Danbury, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Danbury
Built-Up Area: Danbury
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Danbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. DANBURY MAIN ROAD
5213 (North Side)
The Griffin Inn
TL 7705 29/68 29.12.52.
The original house was built soon after 1500 and it became an inn in 1744, known
as The Griffin's Head. Prior to this it was known as "Peppers" and was owned
by Thomas Emery who bequeathed it to his son Thomas in 1603. Sir Walter Scott
stayed here and mentioned the Inn in the introduction to Waverley (1814). A
timber-framed and plastered building, now faced in roughcast on the front and
weatherboarded on the west side and at the rear, with cross wings at the east
and west ends. The timber-framing is exposed on the lst storey of the east
cross wing. Considerably altered in the C18 and later. 2 storeys, attics and
cellars. The windows are mainly double-hung sashes with glazing bars. There
are 2 modern bay windows on the ground storey. Roof tiled, with 2 gabled dormers
with 3-light windows in the centre block. The interior has 2 traceried panels
of C15 work, probably part of the wood screen of the church thrown out at the
Reformation. (RCHM 3).
Nos 58 and 60 and The Griffin Inn with The Chantry and Lingwood Housse form a group.
Listing NGR: TL7793905286
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings