This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7166 / 51°42'59"N
Longitude: 0.5743 / 0°34'27"E
OS Eastings: 577930
OS Northings: 205119
OS Grid: TL779051
Mapcode National: GBR PKW.81W
Mapcode Global: VHJK9.W3ZX
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 10 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112484
Location: Danbury, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Danbury
Built-Up Area: Danbury
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Danbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 7705 DANBURY CHURCH GREEN
719/29/60 Church of St John
A stone rubble church with stone dressings with a square west tower with a castellated parapet, outer diagonal buttresses and a shingled spire set back behind the parapet, considerably restored. The roof is tiled. The church is possibly of C 12 origin but the earliest part of the present church is the base of the north arcade which is circa 1233. The nave, south arcade and west tower are of the C14. The steeple was first built in the C15. The church was extensively restored by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1866 and again in 1952 after bomb damage in 1941. The roof of the north aisle is of the C 14 and has a castellated wall plate carved with effigies of Kings and Queens of the period, probably the Edwards. There is a squint from the north aisle of the chancel. 4 of the back pews in the nave, (north side) are original, with poppy heads and carved with various beasts on the shoulders. The remaining pews are copies by Sir G G Scott. The north aisle has 4 late C 13 windows with 2 arched recesses below containing oak effigies of Knights in armour with crossed legs indicating either crusaders or church builders. The armour suggests a date between 1272 and 1307. An effigy in the south aisle is of a slightly later date. They probably represent members of the St Clere family who endowed the church and rebuilt the north aisle. The gallery to the bell platform has a railing of circa 1600, part of the Jacobean altar rail removed from the church during the Commonwealth, (RCHM 1 ).
6790 (Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England), An Inventory of Essex South
East, 1923, Vol4
Listing NGR: TL7793005119
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings