This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6039 / 51°36'14"N
Longitude: 0.4255 / 0°25'31"E
OS Eastings: 568065
OS Northings: 192239
OS Grid: TQ680922
Mapcode National: GBR NKQ.DD2
Mapcode Global: VHJKM.BY9B
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 4 July 1955
Last Amended: 19 November 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112316
Location: Great Burstead and South Green, Basildon, Essex, CM11
Civil Parish: Great Burstead and South Green
Built-Up Area: Billericay
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Burstead St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 31/01/2013
TQ 69 SE 2/59
Church of St Mary Magdalene
(Formerly listed as Church of St Margaret)
(Formerly listed as Church of St Magdalene)
A random stone rubble Church of Norman origin, the nave has 1 Norman window on the
north side. The remainder of the church is mainly of the C14 and C15. The north
and south porches and the South Chapel are early C16 additions. The north porch
has heavy timber arches. The west tower has angle buttresses and a castellated
parapet and is surmounted by a shingled spire. The west end, the former reredos of
the Church of St Christopher-le-Stocks in the City of London, with Corinthian
pilasters and a segmental pediment. The C18 alter rail, also came from a church in
the City of London. There are C18 wall monuments, one to James Fishpoole (D 1767).
The church has a fine oak dugout chest of the C12, it is said to have been used to
collect money from the Crusades in the reign of Henry I. (RCHM 4
Seating is C20 except for restored C15 benches in the south aisle. Fine crown-post
roofs to nave and south aisle. North and south porches also have crown-post roofs.
Remains of C14 and C15/16 wall paintings on south wall of south aisle.
Listing NGR: TQ6806592239
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings