This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8778 / 51°52'39"N
Longitude: 0.5512 / 0°33'4"E
OS Eastings: 575707
OS Northings: 222986
OS Grid: TL757229
Mapcode National: GBR PHX.85Q
Mapcode Global: VHJJJ.H2RB
Plus Code: 9F32VHH2+4F
Entry Name: 24 and 26 New Street
Listing Date: 29 November 1973
Last Amended: 8 November 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122474
English Heritage Legacy ID: 113781
Location: Braintree, Essex, CM7
Electoral Ward/Division: Braintree Central & Beckers Green
Built-Up Area: Braintree
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Braintree St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
A former terraced house dating from the C17, now sub-divided into two separate units and converted for commercial use.
MATERIALS: the main materials are timber-framing with plaster infill, and render. Plain clay tiles cover the roofs.
PLAN: the building has a rectangular plan and is four bays wide and two storeys plus attic.
EXTERIOR: the north end is gabled, with a single casement window lighting the attic. There are double-hung sashes, with vertical glazing bars at first floor, and at ground floor there are entrance doors with architraves and small cornice hoods. Between the two doorways is a shallow bay window with cornice, which is supported on corbels, and a twin sash with small panes.
Braintree lies in north Essex, approximately 40 miles north-east of London. It dates from the Roman occupation, and developed as a settlement at the junction of the two roads that were built, although it was later abandoned when the Romans left Britain.
Braintree was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1085 when it was called Branchetreu and consisted of 30 acres in the possession of Richard, son of Count Gilbert. The success of the town was due to its strategic importance in terms of communication and Braintree became a place for travellers and pilgrims to stay on their way to and from other important town, such as Bury St Edmunds and London. In 1190 it was granted a Market Charter, by the Bishop of London, to hold a weekly market and animal fayre. This in turn led to the establishment of smaller satellite villages nearby.
The town prospered from the C17 when Flemish immigrants made the town famous for its wool cloth trade, producing top quality cloth for the high-end market. The wool trade died out in the early 1800s and Braintree became a centre for silk manufacturing when George Courtauld opened a silk mill in the town. By the mid-C19, Braintree was a thriving agricultural and textile town, and benefitted from a railway connection to London. The town's historic connection with the wealthy Courtauld family can be seen through many of the town's public buildings such as the town hall and public gardens established in 1888.
In 1973 a terrace of three, part C17, part C18 timber-framed buildings, then numbered 12-16 New Street, was added to the statutory list as two separate cases, No.12 and Nos.14-16. During the 1980s, New Street was pedestrianised and a new block of 10 units was inserted into the existing row of buildings. The street was consequently re-numbered and the listed buildings were re-allocated new street numbers: No.12 became No.22 and Nos.14-16 became Nos.24-26.
Nos. 24 and 26 New Street, Braintree are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical interest: it is a timber-framed building of C17 origin, the fabric of which survives substantially intact.
* Group Value: the building forms part of a terrace with No. 22 New Street which adjoins No.24 to the north and is also listed at Grade II.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings