History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Perses

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Canfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8504 / 51°51'1"N

Longitude: 0.2717 / 0°16'18"E

OS Eastings: 556566

OS Northings: 219309

OS Grid: TL565193

Mapcode National: GBR MF2.X3K

Mapcode Global: VHHLX.NRJB

Entry Name: Perses

Listing Date: 17 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1122636

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352699

Location: Great Canfield, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: Great Canfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Canfield St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Takeley

Listing Text

TL 51 NE GREAT CANFIELD

2/6 PERSES


II

Cottage, late C16, extended and altered in C17 and C20. Timber framed,
plastered, roof thatched, Originally comprised 2 bays only, storeyed in
S bay, open to the roof in N bay, with original brick chimney stack at N end,
late C16. Floor inserted in open bay, dormer inserted in W pitch of roof,
early C17. Extended to N by one bay, C17. External chimney stack at S end,
C19/20. Extension to E of N bay, forming an L plan, C20. Single storey with
attics. In S gable end, one french window with 2 casement windows above,
all C20. In E extension, door with large fixed lights each side under shallow
porch, 3-light casement window, 2 gabled dormers with casements. Some
framing exposed internally. In original cottage, jowled storey posts,
curved tension bracing trenched inside studs. Inserted axial beam is
stop-chamfered. Original floor boards in N bay. The occupation of this site
is fully recorded from 1504 to 1823 (Eland, p. 122). Until 1595 it was a
holding of 4 acres; from then it became a holding of only 1½ acres burdened
with reaping service. This change of status appears to correlate with the
building of the 2-bay cottage which forms the earliest part of the present
structure. There is a very similar building at The Cottage, Stane Street,
Little Canfield, described as recently built in a survey of 1590
(Essex Record office D/DHt M20), and other similar buildings without
documentation are known. This transitional type of cottage, with one bay
open to the roof but with an original end chimney stack, is of particular
interest historically, and seems to occur earlier in Essex than is recognised
elsewhere. -


Listing NGR: TL5656619309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.