History in Structure

The Grove

A Grade II Listed Building in Colne Engaine, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.947 / 51°56'49"N

Longitude: 0.6868 / 0°41'12"E

OS Eastings: 584756

OS Northings: 231025

OS Grid: TL847310

Mapcode National: GBR QJG.SKF

Mapcode Global: VHJJ6.VBG7

Plus Code: 9F32WMWP+RP

Entry Name: The Grove

Listing Date: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123249

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115877

ID on this website: 101123249

Location: Colne Engaine, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Colne Engaine

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Colne Engaine St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne


(west side)

2/28 The Grove


House. Circa 1600, extended in C18, C19 and early C20. Timber framed, the
lower storey clad c.1980 with red brick in Flemish bond, the remainder
roughcast, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4-bay lobby-entrance plan
facing SE, the original axial stack replaced by a smaller stack in the C19 or
early C20, with C19 internal stack at right end, the original service bay to
rear of right bay. C18 extension at left end extending to rear, with internal
stack against front wall, another stack in rear wall, and small lean-to to right
of it, possibly built as a garderobe. C18/19 stack to rear of original service
wing and C19 extension beyond, with lean-to to left. Early C20 stair tower
between rear wings. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 3 early C20 casements and French
windows, first floor 7 early C20 casements. Early C20 door. Roof hipped at left
end. Jowled posts, close studding, curved bracing trenched inside studs, partly
exposed in right bays. Chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops, and
ovolo-moulded axial beam in left bay of original main range; plain joists of
horizontal section. Early C17 oak panelling in left bay of main range, C18 pine
panelling in right bay and upper storey of left extension. C17/18 3-light
window with wrought iron casement in rear wall of original service range, now
enclosed by extension, and C19 bread oven with wrought iron door. The owner
states that she has deeds and diaries relating to the building, back to 1777.

Listing NGR: TL8475631025

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.