This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9454 / 51°56'43"N
Longitude: 0.6848 / 0°41'5"E
OS Eastings: 584623
OS Northings: 230834
OS Grid: TL846308
Mapcode National: GBR QJF.ZYN
Mapcode Global: VHJJ6.TCDJ
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 18 December 1986
Last Amended: 10 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123250
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115878
Location: Colne Engaine, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Colne Engaine
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Colne Engaine St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8430-8530 COLNE ENGAINE PEBMARSH ROAD
7/29 The Old Rectory
18.12.86 (Formerly listed under
Wrongly shown on OS map as Rectory. House. Early C19, incorporating fragment
of an earlier building, extended in late C19. Mainly of plastered brick, roofed
with slate; earlier wing timber framed, clad with painted brick, roofed with
handmade red plain tiles; late C19 extension in painted brick with slate roof.
Double pile plan facing SE, with 2 internal stacks symmetrically arranged. C19
external stack to rear right, with single-storey earlier wing beyond. Late C19/
early C20 lean-to extension to right of it. Late C19 extension to rear left.
Early C20 conservatory to left of main range. 2 storeys. 3-window range of
original sashes of 12 lights. Central 6-panel dooor, overlight with geometrical
tracery, doorcase with 2 columns and open pediment, 2 stone steps. Entrance set
slightly back from main elevation. Hipped roof of shallow pitch. Original stair
with wreathed handrail and stick balusters. On ground floor, original 6-panel
internal doors and skirtings. On first floor, 4-panel doors. A local guidebook
reports that the house was built in 1825 for Dr. A.W. Trollope (rector 1814-27),
and the left rear wing added by William Webster (rector 1865-70). (Colne
Engaine, the Story of an Essex Parish, unsigned, undated but c. 1975).
Listing NGR: TL8462330834
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings