This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8906 / 51°53'26"N
Longitude: 0.9031 / 0°54'11"E
OS Eastings: 599864
OS Northings: 225325
OS Grid: TL998253
Mapcode National: GBR SN5.F4M
Mapcode Global: VHKFZ.LRS0
Entry Name: The Castle Keep (Including Excavated Remains of Forebuilding in Moat)
Listing Date: 24 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116865
Location: Colchester, Essex, CO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Colchester
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Colchester St Botolph with Holy Trinity (LEP)
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. CASTLE PARK
The Castle Keep
(including excavated remains
of forebuilding in moat)
TL 9925 SE 5/3 24.2.50.
Built late C11 on the site of the great Roman Claudian Temple (the
foundations still exist under the castle), almost entirely of Roman tiles
and septaria. It was probably built in circa 1080 for William the Conqueror
as an important defensive work. It was much larger and more massive than
any other Norman Castle built in England - possibly partly because it had
to enclose the great Roman foundations still existing on the site.
It had 3 storeys or more and is now probably less than half its original
height, though still a most imposing structure and a most important
example of mediaeval military architecture. Demolition was begun in
1693, the height being reduced. Considerable restoration took place
in the mid C18 for Charles Grey. The dome over the great staircase was
added by James Deane in 1760. AM.
Listing NGR: TL9986425325
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings