History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sawyer's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Totham, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7766 / 51°46'35"N

Longitude: 0.7445 / 0°44'40"E

OS Eastings: 589435

OS Northings: 212227

OS Grid: TL894122

Mapcode National: GBR RMZ.H23

Mapcode Global: VHKGG.VLGW

Entry Name: Sawyer's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 January 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123718

English Heritage Legacy ID: 353215

Location: Tolleshunt Major, Maldon, Essex, CM9

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Tolleshunt Major

Built-Up Area: Little Totham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Tolleshunt Major St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Tolleshunt Knights

Listing Text

TOLLESHUNT MAJOR SAWYER'S ROAD
TL 81 SE (west side)
2/111 Sawyer's Farmhouse
16.1.81
- II

House. C18 and early C19, extended in C20. Timber framed and plastered, and
painted brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Comprises
an C18 timber framed house of 3 bays facing approx. N, with central stack, and a
brick house of c.1840 to the E, also facing N, with central stack forming a
lobby-entrance, and original porch. C20 2-storey extension to rear of brick
house. First build of one storey with attics, second build of 2 storeys. N
elevation, first build, 2 C20 sashes and one C20 casement, and 2 C20 sashes in
lean-to dormers; gambrel roof. Second build, on ground floor 2 original sashes
of 16 lights; on first floor 2 similar sashes and one original sash of 12
lights. 6-panel door at front of brick porch with flat roof. Main roof and
roof of rear extension hipped. At rear of first build, 2 early C19 sashes of 5
+ 10 lights. The interior of the first build has exposed framing, primary
straight bracing, unjowled posts, unchamfered axial beam with plain joists of
vertical section in left bay, C20 floor in right bay. Wood-burning hearth with
brick arch supported by iron bar in left bay, other hearth rebuilt in C20. The
second build retains all or most of the original internal features. In left
ground floor room, folding internal shutters and reeded fire surround with
concentric rings at corners. On first floor, 2 small cast iron grates,
original. All internal doors original, including 2 which are half-glazed, with
slender glazing bars. There are deeds from 1753 in Essex Record Office;
Sawyer's Farm is first mentioned by name in 1811 (C/TS 21).


Listing NGR: TL8943512227

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.