History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Stephen

A Grade II Listed Building in Cinderford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8221 / 51°49'19"N

Longitude: -2.496 / 2°29'45"W

OS Eastings: 365910

OS Northings: 213837

OS Grid: SO659138

Mapcode National: GBR FW.WFG9

Mapcode Global: VH86Y.PGBJ

Entry Name: Church of St Stephen

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123753

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354094

Location: Cinderford, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Cinderford

Built-Up Area: Cinderford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cinderford St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cinderford

Listing Text

SO 61 SE CINDERFORD BELLE VUE ROAD
(east side)
10/25 Church of St. Stephen

II
Parish church, 1890, chancel 1893, by C.H. Lingen Barker of
Hereford. 4-bay nave with aisles, chancel and north vestry.
Impressive west front to road, projecting centre, entrance door on
returns. Plain plinth, plain ashlar bands at various levels: 3
lancet windows in centre at lower level, one each in aisles; above
two 2-light windows with geometric tracery, above again a plate-
tracery rose window and in the apex 3 slits with louvres. Either
side the corner buttresses are taken up above the eaves with gabled
caps. The entrance doors have separate hoodmoulds, with above a
flat gable against the wall, carved with 2 layers of recessed semi-
circles. The bell hangs under a projecting timber gablet over the
north door. Aisles buttressed, with 3 lancets grouped beneath a
hoodmould in each bay; clerestory has 2 sets of 2 lancets per bay.
Impressive interior, plain round columns, simple arches: ceiling
boarded, pointed barrel vault with ribs at half-bay centres rising
off stone corbels. Western gallery in projection with stone
balustrade. Original fittings.


Listing NGR: SO6591013837

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.