History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Stisted, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8909 / 51°53'27"N

Longitude: 0.6125 / 0°36'45"E

OS Eastings: 579873

OS Northings: 224601

OS Grid: TL798246

Mapcode National: GBR QK3.KMV

Mapcode Global: VHJJC.KQPS

Plus Code: 9F32VJR7+92

Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123870

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116302

Location: Stisted, Braintree, Essex, CM77

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Stisted

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in


(west side)

7/283 Parish Church of All
21.12.67 Saints

- I

Parish church. Late C12, C13 and C14, restored and extended in C19. Flint and
pebble rubble with some indurated conglomerate, with dressings of limestone and
clunch, roofed with handmade red plain tiles and lead. Late C12 N arcade, early
C13 S arcade, C13 Chancel, C14 N vestry, N and S aisles, C19 S tower in angle
between Chancel and S aisle, and C19 N and S porches. The Chancel has chamfered
and stopped E quoins (the NE much restored), and in the E wall 5 graduated C13
lancets with chamfered and rebated jambs and heads, all partly restored, with
rear-arches chamfered to the outside and inside; above them is a round window,
apparently all C19. In the N wall are 2 windows; the eastern is a C13 lancet
with chamfered jambs and head; the western is C14, of 3 trefoiled ogee lights
with moulded mullions and tracery in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded
label and grotesque stops, and a chamfered rear-arch, partly restored. Further
E is a C14 doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. On the SE quoin is
a scratch-dial, the gnomon missing. In the S wall are 2 C13 lancets with
chamfered jambs and heads, much restored. The C13 chancel-arch is 2-centred and
of one roll-moulded order; the square responds have moulded imposts. The roof
is C19. The Chancel was restored by the Reverend Charles Forster between 1839
and 1859 (Kelly's Post Office Directory, 1859, 165). The N vestry has chamfered
and stopped quoins similar to those of the Chancel, a C19 E wall and window, and
a C19 W doorway. The Nave has a N arcade of 5 bays, with early C13 2-centred
arches of one chamfered order; the easternmost arch was probably inserted in the
deep C12 respond, and the E respond has a late C12 chamfered impost re-set; the
column in place of the former respond is circular and has a moulded square
capital carved with one grotesque head, 2 defaced heads (one of which is
recessed within a roundel), and a rose with a dragon and a bird feeding off it;
the base is C19. The second and third columns are late C12, circular with
moulded square abaci and moulded capitals elaborately carved with conventional
foliage; the bases are mainly C19. The fourth pier is square and chamfered, and
has a late C12 respond on the E face, with a chamfered impost foliated at one
angle; the westernmost arch springs from a lower level and has C13 moulded
imposts. The S arcade is of 5 bays, the E and W bays corresponding to those of
the N arcade; the whole arcade is C13 and has arches uniform with those of the N
arcade. The easternmost column is similar to that opposite, but has the capital
carved with one grotesque head and one foliate boss (damaged), the others being
uncarved blanks suitable for another head and boss. The second and third
columns are circular and have moulded square capitals, the bases partly
restored. The clerestorey has on each side 3 quatrefoiled windows, probably C14
but all C19 externally, with chamfered segmental rear-arches. The W wall of the
Nave has been rebuilt in the C19; it has 5 C19 windows and a C19 doorway which
incorporates some C13/14 stones. The roof is of 3 bays and has 4 crownpost
trusses, each crownpost octagonal with moulded capitals and bases, with 4-way
rising braces on the inner ones and 3-way on the end ones; the collar-purlin is
moulded; there are soulaces to every rafter couple. It probably dates from the
building of the clerestorey in the C14 or early C15, but the tiebeams and
moulded wallplates are C19, and the whole has been rebuilt in the C19. The N
aisle has been rebuilt in the C14; it has in the E wall a window which is all
C19 except for part of the splays and chamfered segmental rear-arch, which are
C14. In the N wall are 2 windows, C19 except the C14 splays and rear-arches;
the eastern has a hollow-chamfered 2-centred rear-arch and low sill; the western
has a plain-chamfered 2-centred rear-arch. The N doorway is C19 except the C14
splays and hollow-chamfered 3-centred rear-arch. The roof is a lean-to of
shallow pitch, with hollow-chamfered tiebeams and chamfered arch-braces to them,
an axial purlin partly moulded and partly chamfered, and plain rafters of
horizontal section, rebuilt in the C19; the stone plate hooks are late C12. The
S aisle was rebuilt in the early C14. In the S wall are 2 windows, C19
externally; the eastern has C14 keel-moulded splays and segmental rear-arch, and
a low sill; in the E splay is the head of a cinquefoiled ogee niche with
recessed spandrels; in the W splay is a C19 equivalent. The western window has
C14 keel-moulded splays and 2-centred rear-arch. Between them is the re-set C13
S doorway with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 orders, one plain and one hollow-
chamfered. The W jamb has graffiti of 1697 and later. In the W wall is a
window similar to the western window in the S wall. The roof is a lean-to, of
steeper pitch than that of the N aisle; all the arch-braces are hollow-
chamfered, and there are short crownposts of unusual shape clasping the
tiebeams; it has been rebuilt in the C19. The S tower was built in 1844 for
Onley Savill Onley; it has 6 bells (W. White, Directory of Essex, 1863, 315).
The roof of the C19 N porch has re-used lead with embossed and inscribed designs
incorporating the churchwardens' names, the date 1677, and a shield of arms of
Turner of Suffolk. Fittings: 2 piscinae (1) in the E wall of the Chancel, with
moulded segmental head, moulded and shafted jambs with capitals and bases, stone
shelf and octofoiled drain, C13, (2) in the S wall of the S aisle, with
wave-moulded and stopped jambs, cinquefoiled ogee head and sexfoiled drain,
early C14. The early C18 pulpit is semi-hexagonal with panelled and bollection-
moulded sides and inlaid centres, and one panel with a shield of arms, base C19.
C16 and C17 Flemish glass is re-set among C19 glass in the E, NE and SE windows
of the Chancel; and some C14 or C15 English glass of tabernacle work in the SE
window; the glass was given by Onley Savill Onley between 1844 and 1859 (Kelly's
Post Office Directory, 1859, 165). On the N wall of the Chancel is a brass of
Elizabeth (Glascock), wife of John Wyseman, 1584, with figures of woman and
daughter kneeling at prayer-desk, and shield of arms. In the Chancel are
floor-slabs (1) of Mary, wife first of Sir Thomas Wiseman and later of Sir Henry
Appleton, bart., 1685, black marble, (2) of William Lyngwood, 1699/1700, and
Elizabeth, his wife, 1719, white marble with cartouche of arms, (3) of John
Savill, 1734, and Samuel Savill, 1763, black marble with cartouche of arms, and
(4) of Joannes Barlow Seale, 1838, black marble; the last 3 are partly covered
by the altar-base. In the Nave is a floor-slab of William May, 1837, and
William May, 1840. In the floor of the S porch is a plain slab, reported by the
RCHM to have an early C14 inscription in Lombardic letters. There are wall-
monuments in the Chancel (1) of Mary, wife of the Reverend Samuel Jackson, 1749,
white and grey marble with pediment, urn and 2 lamps, pilasters, and a painted
shield of arms, (2) of the Reverend Samuel Jackson, 1792, and Jane, his wife,
1779, similar to the above, (3) of the Reverend John Escreet, 1823, white marble
tablet on slate, and (4) of Sarah Elizabeth Dodsworth, 1825, white marble
tablet. On the N wall of the N aisle is a monument of Philip Simpson, 1834,
Mary, his first wife, 1790, and Sarah Mary, his second wife, 1834. On the S
wall of the S aisle is a monument of Simon Finch, 1801, and his widow Sarah,
1807, tablet of white and black marble with pilasters and pediment. On the E
wall of the S aisle is a C17 inscribed boundary stone removed from the
churchyard wall in 1909 when the boundary was altered. Incorporated in the
modern organ screen in the Chancel are 4 linenfold panels with traceried heads,
early C16. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL7987324601

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.