This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7492 / 51°44'57"N
Longitude: 0.2088 / 0°12'31"E
OS Eastings: 552574
OS Northings: 207923
OS Grid: TL525079
Mapcode National: GBR MGB.CM5
Mapcode Global: VHHMG.K9RC
Entry Name: Bushes Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 February 1952
Last Amended: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123942
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118106
Location: Magdalen Laver, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Magdalen Laver
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: High Laver with Magdalene Laver and Little Laver
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 50 NW MAGDALEN LAVER Bushes Parmhouse
5/34 (formerly listed as
House, c.1500, extended in early C17, restored 1933. Timber framed, plastered
with frame wholly exposed, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4-bay range
aligned approx. N-S, aspec W, with axial chimney stack in second bay from S
and internal chimney stack at N gable. Continuous jetty to W. 3-bay extension
to E of S end, early C17, with chimney stack in middle bay against S wall,
hearths facing E. Lean-to extensions at N end of N-S range, and in the angle.
Small extension with pitched roof at E end of E-W range. 2 storeys. W
elevation, 4 leaded casement windows on ground floor, 3 on first floor, all C20.
Roof hipped at S end. Internal chimney stack has grouped diagonal shafts.
Walls of N-S range close-studded with curved tension braces trenched outside
studs. Studs of E wall unweathered at S end, indicating that there has always
been a building in the position of the present E wing. Jowled posts in both
blocks. In the 2 N bays unchamfered joists of horizontal section exposed, axial
corma beams square and unchamfered. Projecting pegs in one bay represent 1933
restoration, as does inserted partition. In the 2 S bays transverse and axial
corma beams moulded (hollow chamfer step and ogee), joists plastered to soffits.
This room lined with panelling c.1600, with some reproduction. On first floor,
hearths both sides of axial stack have depressed brick arches and chamfered
jambs, originally plastered, now stripped, early C17, and additionally S hearth
has small C19 grate. Tiebeam over S room is hollow-chamfered. Crownpost roof,
plain crownposts with curved axial braces, complete except where axial chimney
stack is inserted. Some original wattle and daub in roof. In E wing, arched
braces to wallplates inside studs, not trenched. 4 early C17 glazed windows are
present, with ovolo-moulded mullions - on ground floor N wall, on first floor in
N and S walls, in attic at E gable. Roof of butt purlin construction re-using
many smoke-blackened medieval rafters. It is clear that a medieval open hall
originally occupied the site of the present E wing, of which the long-jettied N-
S range is the fashionable parlour extension of c.1500. There is no evidence of
the position of an original chimney in this range, the roof structure showing
clear evidence that the present axial chimney is a later insertion. An estate
map by Matt Dayles in the possession of the owner shows that in 1742 Bushes Farm
(then with the same name) comprised 143 acres, of which 42 were copyhold.
Moated site. RCHM 5. Photographs in the NMR show it before and after the
external plaster was removed in 1933.
Listing NGR: TL5257407923
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings