This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7226 / 51°43'21"N
Longitude: 0.2485 / 0°14'54"E
OS Eastings: 555406
OS Northings: 205040
OS Grid: TL554050
Mapcode National: GBR MGL.X8S
Mapcode Global: VHHMH.8Y7W
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 11 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124048
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117856
Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Ongar
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Chipping Ongar with Shelley
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 50 NE ONGAR SHELLEY
Church of St. Peter
Church. 1888. Habershon and Fawkner. The third known church on the site and
built from money raised by subscription, £3000 being given by Revd. W.M. Oliver
of Bobbingworth. Red brick built, the exterior clad with dressed flint. Early
English style with stone dressings to windows, doors and quoins. Red tiled
roof with pierced ridge. Nave, Chancel, North Tower with North door and South
Porch. The North Tower of 3 orders with stone capped dressed, angled
buttresses, 3 light lancets to east and west ground floor faces, stone roundels
with trefoils and stopped labels to second stage and 2 light belfr y openings
with stopped labels. 2 centre arch door surround of moulded orders with 2
shafts left and right with moulded bases, Corinthian capitals, foliate stopped
label. Broached, shingle spire. Nave, aisle and chancel with matching stone
capped and dressed buttresses. One, two or three light lancet windows all stone
dressed and with foliate stops to labels. East window, stone of 3 lancet lights
with 3 roundels over and foliate stops to labels. South porch of timber, with
red tile roof and matching pierced ridge tiles. West window of 3 light, 2 stage
lancets with foliate label stops and circular light above. All windows with
original diamond leaded, pink, green and lemon glass with red and white margins.
Stained glass East window. Internally a theme of red brick walls, cream stone
window dressings with a black brick band continuing over each lancet head.
Colour theme extended to floor tiles. Vertical wooden panelling to pews.
Arcade of 3 two centred arches, and a 2 centre Chancel Arch and Vestry arch, the
two latter,stone dressed, with foliate stops to labels. 7 cant roof to Nave and
5 cant boarded roof to Chancel. Altar furniture of black, red and gold and the
colour theme again in Bishops Chair and Font cover and lectern. Stone octagonal
Pulpit with 2 light lancet design. Brass communion rails with involucres and
bosses and twisted bases. William and Mary Font. There is a painting "The
Madonna di Foligno" after Raphael, in the Church. Monuments to Hodesley Green 8
December 1699. Fridswid Green 1630 John Greene 1595. The Greenes lived at
Shelley Hall 1580-Early Cl8. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL5540605040
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings