This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6963 / 51°41'46"N
Longitude: 0.1064 / 0°6'22"E
OS Eastings: 545672
OS Northings: 201828
OS Grid: TL456018
Mapcode National: GBR LFG.PQ1
Mapcode Global: VHHML.SMLG
Entry Name: Water Tower
Listing Date: 20 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124153
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117600
Location: Epping, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Epping
Built-Up Area: Epping
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Epping St John
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/10/2015
TL 40 SE
No 35 (Water Tower)
Water Tower. 1872 by Jabez Church for Epping Rural Sanitary Authority. Red brick with dressings, in grey and blue brick and stone. Square plan with a circular turret on NE corner. Four facades 90 feet high. Victorian Gothic, C13 style details. Stone string band at plinth level. At ground floor on E elevation a doorway with 2 boarded doors under 4 centre rubbed brick arch in grey and blue bands, with decorative key stone. Wrought iron scroll - work to fanlight. Midway up each facade centrally positioned twin lancet windows, under 2 centre arches of banded grey and blue brick. Above on all facades one central louvred lancet window with similar brick arch detail. On the turret are two pairs of slit windows with stone cills and heads. String bands in grey brick with dentil courses at various levels through all facades and on turret. Top parapets are crenellated with stone dressings. A single storey outbuilding in red brick with a slate roof adjoins the W elevation. Prominent from various points within the town and from the surrounding countryside. Included as a landmark and for group value.
Listing NGR: TL4567201828
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings