This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8379 / 51°50'16"N
Longitude: -1.0023 / 1°0'8"W
OS Eastings: 468837
OS Northings: 215942
OS Grid: SP688159
Mapcode National: GBR 9ZM.RDX
Mapcode Global: VHDV1.K2ZF
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42541
Location: Wotton Underwood, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Wotton Underwood
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wotton Underwood
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 61 NE WOTTON UNDERWOOD
3/179 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Originally C14 with remains of C12 W. doorway;
restored and S. aisle rebuilt 1867 by G.E. Street for Duke of
Buckingham. C19 W. tower. Coursed rubble stone, lead roofs.
Off-set buttresses,moulded parapets to nave and chancel. W. tower
of 2 stages with battlemented parapet, octagonal lead spire, wide
lancet openings and W. door. Nave has restored C14-C15 2-light
traceried windows, 3 to N. and one to S. N, door with moulded depressed
arch and brick niche to right. Restored carved head gargoyles. S.
aisle is of dressed stone with sill course, dripmould, and 3-light
traceried windows. Chancel has cusped lancets to N. and S.
and a C19 3-light E. window with reticulated tracery. Small C19 N.
vestry. Interior: nave has door to tower with C12 incised patterning to
lintel. Nave roof is dated 1870 and has carved angel corbels. S. arcade
has 3 bays of arches on quatrefoil piers, all renewed C19, and 2 W. bays
with elaborate C19 tracery forming screen to Grenville chapel. 2 remaining
bays of S. aisle are divided by arch and have dado of blind tracery
panels with inscriptions. Restored C15 chancel arch is double
hollow chamfered on semi-octagonal piers. Chancel also has moulded
sill course, cinquefoil piscina and C19 arches to aisle and vestry.
Fittings: circular font on banded stem, possibly medieval but much
reworked; medieval chest; fine early C18 wrought iron screen to chapel
has Corinthian capitals and crest with foliage scrolls and initials of
Richard Grenville. Other fittings C19. C19 armorial glass to chapel.
Monuments: C19 ogee recess at W. end of chapel contains tomb chest with
carved stone effigy of Agnes de Wightham, d.1386 but carved C16; C16
brasses to Edward Greneveile, wife and child; stone wall tablets to
members of Grenville family; large tomb chest along S. wall with
double row of oval brass inscription tablets to same family; more oval
tablets on floor.
RCHM I p.326-7
Listing NGR: SP6883715942
Other nearby listed buildings