This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5578 / 50°33'28"N
Longitude: -4.8733 / 4°52'23"W
OS Eastings: 196577
OS Northings: 77060
OS Grid: SW965770
Mapcode National: GBR ZR.WTDJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 07PL.F7R
Entry Name: Vicarage
Listing Date: 26 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124708
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351621
Location: St. Minver Highlands, Cornwall, PL27
Civil Parish: St. Minver Highlands
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Minver with St Enodoc and St Michael Rock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NW ST MINVER ST MINVER
Vicarage. Possibly early C18, remodelled in 1789 (datestone) and extended in circa
1830s. Rendered stone rubble, slate hung on west front. Slate and asbestos slate
roofs; hipped ends to earlier range on west and hipped end to later rear wing on
south east. West range with brick end stack on left hand (north) hipped end and
brick axial stack, originally rear lateral stack heating right hand room on south.
When the rear wing was added, the lateral stack was incorporated to become an axial
stack. Brick axial stack near centre of south east wing.
Plan: Early C18 range on west probably comprised a two room and central passage plan,
the left hand (north) room heated by end stack and the right hand (south) room by
rear lateral stack. This range was partly remodelled in 1789, probably when the west
front was slate hung. In circa early 1830s a wing was added to the rear of the right
hand (south) room to produce an overall 'L' shaped plan; the west range was
remodelled when the entrance was blocked and a back stair inserted in the passage.
The added south wing comprised a plan of two reception rooms heated by axial stack on
the garden front and an entrance hall and stair on the north side. An entrance porch
was added on the north east. In circa 1830s or 1840s a service range was added on
the north east in the angle between the earlier west range and the south wing.
Two storeys. Almost symmetrical three window west front with segmental arches to
ground floor openings; C20 glazed door on left and two C19 16-pane sashes in centre
and on right. Datestone 1789 above centre opening. First floor with three early C19
16-pane hornless sashes. South garden front, almost symmetrical three window
elevation with early C19 hornless sashes; two 12-pane sashes flank central early C19
canted bay window on ground floor with three 12-pane sashes above. Early C19 24-pane
hornless sash window lighting stair on east elevation with entrance in C19 single
storey porch on north east corner.
Interior: largely complete with C19 detailing. Several date C18 and early C19
chimney-pieces with cast iron hob grates of circa early and mid C19. Circa 1830s
open well stair with stick balusters and ramped rail. 8 bay roof structure over
west range of circa early C18, oak pegged with collars and apices of principals
halved, lap-jointed and pegged.
Terriers for 1727 extanct describing house of stone, covered with slate; 5 rooms and
four chambers, a hall of two bays floored with clift stone and 4 others with earth
floors (Maclean). This terrier may correspond with part of the existing vicarage.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor
in the County of Cornwall, 1879 vol III
Listing NGR: SW9657777060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings