This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5592 / 50°33'32"N
Longitude: -4.7921 / 4°47'31"W
OS Eastings: 202332
OS Northings: 76989
OS Grid: SX023769
Mapcode National: GBR ZW.VYBR
Mapcode Global: FRA 07VL.8VX
Entry Name: Skisdon Including Cold Stores to Rear
Listing Date: 26 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351561
Location: St. Kew, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Kew
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Kew
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NW ST KEW ST KEW
5/224 Skisdon including cold stores to
House with range of cold stores to rear. Possibly C18 or earlier, heavily remodelled
in mid C19 and converted into flats in early to mid C20. Stone rubble, partly
rendered, probably stuccoed in C18. Slate roof with gabled front to 3-storey ranges
on left and triple gabled end to range on right. Brick chimney stacks in valleys
between triple gabled range and projecting rear lateral stack with brick shaft to
range on left.
Plan much altered and original arrangement uncertain. Engraving by C.S. Gilbert in
possession of owners illustrates Skisdon in circa 1817 when the house comprised a
regular 4-window range on left with entrance on right and probably a plan of 3 rooms
to left of entrance, heated by axial chimney stacks. A 2-window range on right was
set back from main range and heated by a rear lateral chimney stack. Circa mid C19
alterations and extensions to the house included the remodelling of the left-hand
side of the main range by adding an extra storey to provide a 3-storey cross wing;
and another range parallel at the rear which contains the stairs at the rear of the
entrance hall. The right hand end was extended in the mid C19 by the addition of a
large room at the front; the room in the range behind was remodelled at the same time
and both face the garden to the right of the house under a three-span gabled roof.
2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 1:3:2 window range with window openings similar to
those illustrated in the 1817 engraving. Comprises 3-storey one window range on left
with gable end, lower 3 window central range of 2 storey and attic with steeply
pitched roof and 2 window range on right projecting forward. Central 3-window range
with straight joint to left of centre. Ground floor with C20 double glazed door on
left, 4-pane sash to right of centre and entrance on right with circa mid C19
rendered gabled porch with shaped bargeboards. First floor with three 4-pane sashes.
Steeply pitched roof with 2 gabled full dormers with 4-pane sashes and shaped
bargeboards. Bellcote on ridge to left of centre. Range on left with C19 4-pane
sash on ground, first and second floors and blind window above in gable end. Range
on right with 2 tall C19 4-pane sashes on ground and first floor. Right-hand side
elevation with triple gabled front with wavy timber barge boards and finials. C20
verandah on ground floor and 4-pane sashes on first and second floors.
3 storey rear elevation. Large niches excavated out of bedrock cliff to rear to form
larders and cold stores.
Interior main range on left with hall passage of full 2-storey height with coved
ceiling. Room to left of entrance hall with circa late C18 classical chimney-piece
decorated with swags and ovals with late C18 cast iron grate with hobs. C19 chimney
pieces to 2 rooms to left served by back-to-back fireplace. Large C19 kitchen
fireplace in room to rear on left with bell-pull to ring bell in bellcote. Thick
wall between front and rear rooms in central range continuing as lath and plaster
partition above ground floor. Circa C19 stair with closed string, square balusters,
ramped rail and turned simple newels. Stair window with double-glazed C19 glass and
stained glass panel inscribed 'Braddon of Treworgey, 1654' with heraldic arms. Range
on right with C19 marble chimney-pieces and cornices. Roof timbers to main range
replaced in circa mid C19 when the roof pitch was altered to span the double depth
range. Roof structure above remains of earlier range on right not fully accessible;
circa C18, with lapped and pegged collars and ridge.
Skisdon was a parcel of the Manor of Tregoide, first mentioned in 1350 as a tenement
of the manor under the form of Reskesen. In 1707 it formed part of the possessions of
John Nicholls of Trewane (qv). In circa 1777, Rev. Joseph Bennett, sometime curate
in charge of the parish moved from the vicarage to Skisdon when the Rev. Joseph
Pomery was installed as Vicar. Maclean attributes to Bennett the addition of a wing
at Skisdon together with the erection of the garden walls.
Engraving of View of Skisdon Lodge engraved by C.S Gilbert circa 1817. See
Gilbert, C.S. An Historical Survey of the Count of Cornwall, 1817, vol III, p610
Maclean, J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the
County of Cornwall, 1879, vol II p143
Listing NGR: SX0233176993
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings