This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5348 / 50°32'5"N
Longitude: -4.8443 / 4°50'39"W
OS Eastings: 198530
OS Northings: 74424
OS Grid: SW985744
Mapcode National: GBR ZT.8GT7
Mapcode Global: FRA 07RN.6JJ
Plus Code: 9C2QG5M4+W7
Entry Name: Trewornan Including Wall to Rear of Courtyard
Listing Date: 26 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351593
Location: St. Minver Highlands, Cornwall, PL27
Civil Parish: St. Minver Highlands
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Minver with St Enodoc and St Michael Rock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 97 SE ST MINVER
7/270 Trewornan including wall to rear
- of courtyard
Remains of large manor house and wall to rear of courtyard. Circa early C17 possibly
with earlier origins. Partly demolished in circa C18 or C19. Stone rubble, partly
slate hung on front elevation. Steeply pitched slate roof; hipped end on left, cross
wing to right with hipped end on front and gable end to rear, hipped wing to right
and rear wing to right with gable ends. Projecting stone rubble stacks with brick
shafts on left hand hipped end, side lateral stack heating front room of cross wing
and end stack heating right hand wing. A rear lateral stack with diagonally set
rendered shafts heats the central room of the left hand range. Brick stack on rear
gable end of cross wing and stone rubble and brick axial and end stacks to rear wing
A circa late C17 painting of the house illustrates the extensive south range prior to
the demolition of the left hand (west) side. The south front was composed of a
central two storey porch with two hipped or gabled wings to right and left and a
further wing beyond on the right. The existing house may comprise the right hand
side of the illustrated C17 south range. However, the house was considerably
remodelled in the C19 and the original plan is uncertain.
The existing plan of Trewornan comprises a south front with range on left (west) and
cross wing on right. The left hand range is of two room, single depth plan, the
right hand room heated by a rear lateral stack and the left hand room, possibly
positioned to the rear of the earlier two storey porch, heated by an end stack. The
front room of the cross wing on right is heated by a side lateral stack with a circa
C17 stair to the north. The rear room of this wing is heated by a gable end stack.
Set back, on the right hand side of the cross wing is a further range of one room
plan, heated by an end stack and to the rear of this a further range of two room plan
heated by axial and end stacks. The chronology of this rear wing is uncertain and
whilst it may predate the south range there are several straight joints and blocked
openings suggesting considerable alterations.
In circa C18 the west half of the house was demolished, the only remains is a low
garden wall. In circa C19 the interior was considerably remodelled and in circa C19
or early C20 the entrance was placed in the side wall of the right hand wing. In
circa mid C19 a service range was added or rebuilt to the rear of the left hand range
and the rear gable end of the cross wing was rebuilt. A stone rubble curtain wall
was erected enclosing a courtyard to the rear of the house and a circa C16 4-centred
chamfer granite arch with diabolo stops was reset in the centre.
Two storeys. Complete early C19 fenestration with crown glass and hornless sashes.
Regular 2:1:1 window south front with triple sashes and 12-panes sashes in left hand
range, triple sashes in hipped end of cross wing and early C20 part glazed door and 4
over 8 pane sashes in right hand wing. 24 pane sash stair window in right hand side
of cross wing. Rear right hand wing with C19 casements and sashes.
Rear elevation has C19 sashes and two-centred arched openings with C19 intersecting
glazing bars in gable end of cross wing.
Interior: C19 chimney pieces and doorcases. Fine circa C17 oak dogleg stair in
cross wing; closed string with moulded rail turned balusters and turned newels. Roof
structure circa early to mid C17; the principals have straight feet and are morticed
at the apices. Several of the collars are notched on the top face in a form of dove
tail and lap-jointed onto the face of the principals.
Full inspection of interior not accessible. Earliest notice of Trewornan in 1211.
Temp. James I belonged to Thomas Clifford and later to Roe family (see memorial in
St. Minver church qv).
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of
Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, 1879 vol. III
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of
Cornwall 1867-73 rp 1974
Listing NGR: SW9853074424
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings