This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5271 / 50°31'37"N
Longitude: -4.8381 / 4°50'17"W
OS Eastings: 198942
OS Northings: 73554
OS Grid: SW989735
Mapcode National: GBR ZT.8Y70
Mapcode Global: FRA 07RN.WGC
Entry Name: Burniere Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327929
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67633
Location: Egloshayle, Cornwall, PL27
Civil Parish: Egloshayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Breoke
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 97 SE
3/2 Burniere Farmhouse
House, now used as farmhouse. Probably C16 origins partly remodelled in the C18, mid
and late C19. Slatestone rubble walls, over a metre thick. Slate roof with gable
ends. Brick shaft to rear lateral stack, incorporated as axial stack and projecting
stone rubble front lateral stack. Brick end stack to rear left hand wing.
Plan: Original plan uncertain as there are several straight joints, the walls appear
to have been partly refaced and the roof structure was replaced in the late C19. The
front range comprises a three room and cross passage plan with entrance to right of
centre; the lower end heated by an end stack, the hall by a front lateral stack and
the inner room by a rear lateral stack. There is a very thick crosswall on the
higher side of the passage, probably containing a flue for an axial stack to heat the
chamber above. There is a wing of two room plan to rear of the inner room, heated by
an end stack and a circa early C19 stair in a projection to the rear of the cross
passage, possibly replacing an earlier stair.
There is a distinct straight joint on the front elevation rising to just above first
floor level, corresponding with the cross wall on the higher side of the passage; the
front wall on the lower side of the straight joint and on the higher side of the
front lateral hall stack appears to have been rebuilt. It is possible that there was
a single storey hall bay on the lower (right hand) side of the hall stack and that
the front wall to the right of this was rebuilt in the C18. To the left of the
stack, the front wall appears to have been partly refaced in the early C19, and the
gable end rebuilt and the eaves raised in the late C19. The date of the rear wing is
uncertain although probably of at least C17 origins.
It is, however, possible that the house may have been arranged totally differently
and, as the county seat of the Bishops of Exeter, it may have been larger extending
to the north and/or south.
Exterior: 2-storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window front with projecting hall lateral stack
near centre and entrance to right of centre. Circa late C18 6-panel door with
fanlight and broken pediment with early C19 triparite sash with dressed granite arch
to right, early C19 12-pane sash to left and early C19 16-pane and 12-pane sashes to
far left. First floor with four hornless 12-pane sashes and a tripartite sash to
Interior: Wide entrance hall with circa early C19 open well stair in projection to
rear with turned newel, stick balusters with ramped moulded rail. C20 fireplace to
hall. Plastered ceilings. Rear wing with unmoulded timber lintel to large deep
fireplace which has one cloam oven and the remains of a second oven. Late C19 roof
structure of king post construction.
Domesday manor site. County seat of the Bishops of Exeter. Marked by Norden.
Norden Speculi Britanniae Pars: A Topographical and Historical Description of
Cornwall, 1728, (surveyed circa 1584)
Polsue, J. Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1876, reprinted 1974
Listing NGR: SW9894273554
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings