This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6014 / 51°36'4"N
Longitude: -0.6363 / 0°38'10"W
OS Eastings: 494541
OS Northings: 190051
OS Grid: SU945900
Mapcode National: GBR F70.FYF
Mapcode Global: VHFSV.X0GQ
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk Facing Nos 1 and 3 (The Royal Saracen's Head Public House)
Listing Date: 2 June 1988
Last Amended: 9 October 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44364
Location: Beaconsfield, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, HP9
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Beaconsfield
Built-Up Area: Beaconsfield
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Beaconsfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
411/14/150 WINDSOR END
02-JUN-88 (East side)
K6 telephone kiosk facing Nos 1 and 3
(the Royal Saracen's Head Public House)
(Formerly listed as:
K6 Telephone Kiosk adjoining Beaconsfi
eld Magistrates Court (not included))
BUILDING: K6 telephone box
DATE: The K6 was designed in 1935; the date of this example is not known.
ARCHITECT: Giles Gilbert Scott
MATERIALS: Cast iron, glass
EXTERIOR: The K6 kiosk was a development on Scott's 1924 K2 design. It has a glazed door and sides beneath a domical roof; there are narrow panes on either side of the horizontal glazing. In the segmental upper structure on each side is a relief crown, placed above a glazed panel bearing the word TELEPHONE.
HISTORY: This type K6 telephone kiosk was listed on 2nd June 1988. Its list address was as follows: 'K6 Telephone Kiosk adjoining Beaconsfield Magistrates Court (not included)'. As part of an Environmental Improvement project that was completed in May 2005, South Bucks District Council removed some modern glass telephone kiosks from within the Beaconsfield Conservation Area, and replaced them with this K6 telephone kiosk. This K6 telephone kiosk was moved under listed building consent from its location outside the Beaconsfield Magistrate's Court in Windsor End, to a site further to the north on Windsor End, on a newly paved area outside numbers 1 and 3 (the Royal Saracen's Head Public House), Windsor End, Beaconsfield.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The archetypal K6 telephone kiosk was designed by the eminent architect Giles Gilbert Scott (of Battersea Power Station and Liverpool Cathedral fame) in 1935 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V, and was a development on Scott's 1924 K2 design. The K6 kiosk is made of cast iron, with glazed door and sides beneath a domical roof; there are narrow panes on either side of the horizontal glazing. In the segmental upper structure on each side is a relief crown, placed above a glazed panel bearing the word TELEPHONE. Generally painted red, the Neoclassical design, influenced by the work of the Regency architect Sir John Soane, is of special architectural interest for the quality of the architectural design as applied to an industrially produced object of mass communication. Some 70,000 K6s were ultimately produced.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings