This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6445 / 51°38'40"N
Longitude: -0.8024 / 0°48'8"W
OS Eastings: 482965
OS Northings: 194650
OS Grid: SU829946
Mapcode National: GBR D4W.V9F
Mapcode Global: VHDVY.1XPN
Entry Name: The George and Dragon Inn
Listing Date: 9 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46069
Location: West Wycombe, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14
Civil Parish: West Wycombe
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: West Wycombe
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
The George &
SU 8294 9/77 9.1.54.
Circa 1720 refronting of earlier structure. Red brick with stucco ground
floor and old tiled hipped roof. 3 storeys, 4 giant stucco rusticated
Doric, formerly Ionic, pilasters with bases at 1st floor level, ground
floor plain plinths. Double hung sash windows with cambered relieving
arches and projecting keyblocks; irregular placing of windows with many
dummy ones. 3 ground floor canted bay windows, 1 on brackets, all with
cornices, that on right with entablature; 1 to left of central carriageway,
2 to right. 4 flush panel door, narrow rectangular fanlight, cornice hood.
C18 oral lead sign.
Timber framework exposed in carriageway and on back elevation. Yard has
east side stable wing of flint rubble dressed with colour washed brick.
Single storey, 3 windows. West wing to yard has colour washed brick ground
floor, timber framed colour washed brick nogged 1st floor, old tiled roof.
1st floor oversails on exposed corbels. Old tiled roof.
Gardens said to be haunted by a "white lady".
Outbuildings adjoining No 2 on West, Nos 2 to 5 (consec), Nos 7 to 9 (consec),
The Swan Public House, West Wycombe Branch County Library, Nos 10 to 13
(consec), No 15, Black Boy Cottage, The George and Dragon Inn and Nos 16
to 23 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8296594650
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings