This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0455 / 52°2'43"N
Longitude: -0.7274 / 0°43'38"W
OS Eastings: 487374
OS Northings: 239334
OS Grid: SP873393
Mapcode National: GBR D04.NY9
Mapcode Global: VHDT1.BVT8
Plus Code: 9C4X27WF+62
Entry Name: Cleobury Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 August 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125236
English Heritage Legacy ID: 45926
Location: Campbell Park, Milton Keynes, MK15
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Campbell Park
Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Woughton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WOOLSTONE CUM WILLEN
SP83NE NEWPORT ROAD
4/140 Cleobury Farmhouse
Farmhouse, mid to late C18 (allegedly 1760), with some later-C20 alterations.
MATERIALS: Red brick in Flemish Bond with slate roof
EXTERIOR: Three-bay house of two storeys plus attic with a slate roof. Polite front façade with good quality tightly-jointed brickwork, a central door with central door in a doorcase of panelled pilasters, frieze and cornice with segmental pediment over, and symmetrically arranged windows, one to either side of door with three to first floor. Sash windows replaced by present side-hung casements after 1975. The rear façade is more vernacular in character and retains its original three-, four- and five-light side-hung casements. Attached to the left side of the property is a one- and two-storey brick extension of unknown (but it is believed fairly recent date) date. A large brick porch to the centre of the rear façade is of the late C20 and not of historic interest.
INTERIOR: Internally the main house has an irregular double-pile plan, with a narrow central hall and front and rear rooms to either side. The simple original staircase rises through the house to the third, attic, storey. On the ground floor much original woodwork survives including six-panelled doors and cupboards flanking front dining room chimney breast. There is similarly a fairly comprehensive survival of woodwork on the second and attic floors. Two probably C18 doors through the original left gable wall confirm map evidence that the present extension replaced an earlier structure abutting the side of the main house. Original fireplaces have not survived. Cellars beneath across full depth of property.
HISTORY: Cleobury Farmhouse stands on the main historic crossroads in the village, opposite the listed Manor House. 2006 sales particulars (plausibly) date the property to 1760, although the evidence for this was unstated.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This is a good example of a modest, later C18, brick farmhouse which retains both its main (and different) front and rear facades as well its internal plan and many of its original internal fittings.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings