History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former St Anthonys Franciscan Preparatory School

A Grade II Listed Building in Stony Stratford, Milton Keynes

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0592 / 52°3'33"N

Longitude: -0.8561 / 0°51'21"W

OS Eastings: 478522

OS Northings: 240711

OS Grid: SP785407

Mapcode National: GBR BYG.SGP

Mapcode Global: VHDSZ.3HRR

Plus Code: 9C4X345V+MH

Entry Name: Former St Anthonys Franciscan Preparatory School

Listing Date: 12 October 1954

Last Amended: 28 October 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125371

English Heritage Legacy ID: 45542

Location: Stony Stratford, Milton Keynes, MK11

County: Milton Keynes

Civil Parish: Stony Stratford

Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Stony Stratford St Mary and Giles

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


(North East Side)
Stony Stratford
Former St Anthony's
Franciscan Preparatory
[Part was previously
listed 12.10.54. as
Mr Fegan's Homes]
SP 7840 1/93


Consists of a large chapel with wings extending from transepts. The south-east
transept wing meets a range at right angles to the street front of 4 houses and
forms a quadrangle.
Founded as St Paul's School in 1863 and enlarged since. From 1900 it became one
of 'Mr Fegan's Homes' for Orphans and was latterly a Franciscan Preparatory school.
Chapel: attributed to Goldie and Child [George Goldie] by Persuer circa 1860-70.
large abbatial-type church with uninterrupted tiled roof. Rock faced rubble with
brick quoins, dressings and modillion cornice. 4 bay nave with buttresses, transepts
and apsed chancel. Low narthex to south-vest. Pointed windows. Main emphasis
to south-west where a string course is stepped up and pointed to form a label over
a large rose containing smaller circles. The apse is unlit, decorated with blind
brick arcading in 2 series below the eaves, and 5 buttresses. The interior is
aisless with a barrel vault on corbelled corinthian columns.
The rest of the buildings are also tiled, and, except for the street front, of rock
faced rubble with brick dressings.
Gate Tower: to right of chapel. 3 storeys. Crow stepped gable above giant pointed
arch containing the entrance, a 3 light oriel on the 1st floor, and 2 pointed windows
on the 2nd floor.
Turret: to right of gate tower projects from building. Octagonal with belfry
stage and steeple. Statue of St Anthony over double doors to right.
Other buildings in the Quadrangle and to north-west of Chapel are of 2 storeys
with attics. Half hipped dormers to quadrangle, and having bargeboards and finials
to north-west. Mainly pointed windows, some cusped in the quad, mostly joined
under relieving arches. North-west wing of 7 bays separated by butresses. North-east
corner has a stair turret with belfry stage and pointed roof.
Street front: circa 1860s-80s incorporating earlier buildings. 4 three storey
houses, the end house to south-east to be described separately.
High pitched tiled roofs, with banded colours on house to north-west. Moulded
cornice. Irregular ashlar fronts, brick chimney stack. Moulded kneeler to verge
at north-west end. 2 gabled dormers on house at north-west end, and 3 on house
to south-east 4+2+3 windows, 2 light sashes except for 3 light windows on ground
and 1st floors to house to left of south-east end house. Windows set in moulded
reveals and have stone mullions and keyed heads. House to north-west has triangular
light and the next house a pointed arched light above doors. No door to 3rd house
from north-west. The dated sundial mentioned in the previous list now gone. Adjacent
to house at north-west end is an arched entrance of 2 orders with a panel above.
The end house to the south-east has been recently reduced by 1 window and rendered
with incised coursing. Low pitched slate roof. 2 windows, glazing bar sashes.
Triangular light over door. Brick built at rear.

The former St Anthony's Franciscan Preparatory School and the low street wall in
front form a separate group.

Listing NGR: SP7852240711

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.