History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barclays Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0871 / 52°5'13"N

Longitude: -0.7213 / 0°43'16"W

OS Eastings: 487707

OS Northings: 243966

OS Grid: SP877439

Mapcode National: GBR CZR.4FT

Mapcode Global: VHDSV.GS0W

Entry Name: Barclays Bank

Listing Date: 21 September 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125421

English Heritage Legacy ID: 45380

Location: Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, MK16

County: Milton Keynes

Civil Parish: Newport Pagnell

Built-Up Area: Newport Pagnell

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Newport Pagnell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Sherington

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list;

NEWPORT PAGNELL HIGH STREET
SP 84 SE
1/10000 Number 30
(Barclays Bank)
GV II

Bank, now forming one building with number 32 (The White Horse), High
Street (qv). Dated 1870, architect unknown, for the local banking firm
of Bassett Son & Harris. Red brick with polychrome brick & stone
dressings; stone plinth with quatrefoil openings. Pitched slated roof
having lateral & axial chimney stacks with dentil bands. Symmetrical
design in Gothic Revival Style. 2 storeys 7 windows. Entrances in end
bays, each with a stone doorcase of paired colonettes, with deeply
carved capitals, supporting a gable with fleur-de-lis finial & inset
pointed arch with trefoil motif; wooden doors with herringbone
panelling (left hand, 2 leaves made to appear as one). Round-arched
ground floor sashes, with carved capitals supporting gauged polychrome
brick heads, set behind shallow brick pointed arch arcading having
stone impost bands & gauged brick arches with stone hoodmoulds &
ballflower springers; rectangular stone plaques with quatrefoil
ventilation openings set in spandrels. First floor sashes pointed
arched with stone impost bands, gauged polychrome brick heads &
continuous stone sill band having strips of white brick between
windows. Central window with a 2-stage head & shaped stone hood, dated
1870, having a fleur-de-lis finial & ballflower corbels. Stepped brick
cornice with stone gabled stops & moulded parapet. Interior altered
to suit modern banking requirements. Bassett's Bank was taken over by
Barclays in 1896, Barclay & Co having been Bassett's London agents
from the commencement.


Listing NGR: SP8770543967

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.