History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ouse Bank House

A Grade II Listed Building in Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0877 / 52°5'15"N

Longitude: -0.7201 / 0°43'12"W

OS Eastings: 487792

OS Northings: 244036

OS Grid: SP877440

Mapcode National: GBR CZR.4RG

Mapcode Global: VHDSV.GSPF

Entry Name: Ouse Bank House

Listing Date: 15 June 1971

Last Amended: 21 February 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125442

English Heritage Legacy ID: 45326

Location: Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, MK16

County: Milton Keynes

Civil Parish: Newport Pagnell

Built-Up Area: Newport Pagnell

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Newport Pagnell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Sherington

Listing Text

NEWPORT PAGNELL
1446 HIGH STREET
15-JUN-1971 (East Side)
Ouse Bank House
645/1/4
(Formerly listed as Ousebank
Street County Council Branch
Offices)

(Formerly listed as Ousebank
Street Ouse Bank)

(Formerly listed as Brooklands,
High Street)

(Formerly listed as Ousebank
Street County Branch library)

II

Alternatively known as: BROOKLANDS, OUSEBANK STREET. House. Circa 1689; mid-late C 19 extension; C20 extensions and alterations. Red brick with blue headers in Flemish bond; plain tile roof; brick stacks. Two storeys, built in two sections, the earlier a four-window bay at the S, between giant brick pilasters with moulded brick capitals and dentilled cornice. Parapet rebuilt. The entrance is at the left, a handsome eared doorcase with moulded canopy on cut modillion brackets, and a six-fielded and panelled door with a five-lobed fanlight in a rectangular opening over, egg and dart moulded archivolt and trefoils in the spandrels. Twelve-paned sashes set with the boxes near the face of the brickwork, and having heavy glazing bars and original crown glass. Openings have rubbed thirteen-in brick flat arches and moulded sills (replaced on the ground floor). Central lead hopper and down pipe. Behind the parapet, two flat-roofed dormer windows. On the S gable end a large brick stack, its base rendered, and rising as three close-spaced square stacks. Superimposed on the right two bays a square bay window of c.1940 with soldier-coped parapet and a flat roof. large twenty-pane sash window. The building was extended to the N by three bays in the mid-late C 19, using more pronounced blue headers, but the detail otherwise identical. Blocked cellar openings. The return elevation on the N has three round- headed openings on the ground floor, the centre a doorway, and external chimneybreast over with curved shoulders to the stack. Two lead hoppers. The rear elevation has large nine-pane sash windows with slender glazing bars to the upper floors, three-pane to the attic level. The rear elevation returns by one bay at the S side meeting a later build. Interior: Altered on the ground floor. The first floor room at the N end of the C17 section is fully panelled with bolection moulded panelling, a handsome moulded cornice, chair rail, a bolection moulded fireplace with an overmantle landscape oil painting on canvas, now largely concealed. The steward's office has a lesser-moulded cornice, but a good moulded doorcase with swept pediment. The large ground floor room in the later section has a lateral fireplace with moulded surround and mirrored overmantle Cornice.
History: described as a 'capital; mansion house' when built, it came by conveyance of 1756 to Roger Chapman and his wife who was then bought out by Walter Beaty, Congregationalist and promoter of the lace industry, who died in 1791. Following the Second World War it functioned as a County Branch Library until the new building was built in the 1960's. Mynard D and Hunt J, A Pictorial History of Newport Pagnell, 1995, fig 117; Pevsner N and Williamson E, Buckinghamshire, Buildings of England Series, Second edition, 1994, p 578; Information provided by Mr D Mynard.

Listing NGR: SP8779244036

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.