History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wisbech St Mary, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6585 / 52°39'30"N

Longitude: 0.0993 / 0°5'57"E

OS Eastings: 542085

OS Northings: 308817

OS Grid: TF420088

Mapcode National: GBR L1V.7Y6

Mapcode Global: WHJPG.HFHS

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 23 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125899

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48185

Location: Wisbech St. Mary, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

Civil Parish: Wisbech St. Mary

Built-Up Area: Wisbech St Mary

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Mary and Guyhirn with Rings End

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Wisbech

Listing Text

TF 40 NW WISBECH ST. MARY STATION ROAD
10/91 (East Side)

23.6.52 The Manor House

II*


House with initials T.W. in wrought iron to north gable end and the date 1791 also in
wrought iron and in two parts, to south and east gable ends. Local brick, mainly red,
with paler brick to front wall. Some English bond to rear, and tuck pointing to front
wall. Parapetted roof of Collyweston stone slates with end stacks and tumbled parapet
gable ends. T-plan. Two storeys and attics with band at eaves height. Three
dormers. Stone sills and cambered arches to range of five recessed hung sashes of
twelve panes each. Broken pediment to central round-headed doorway flanked by plain
pilasters with entablature. Arch has small raised key block with mask head ornament.
Door of six panels, four raised and fielded and two flush. Round-headed fanlight with
Gothick glazing bars. Adjoining and flanking the house are shaped and curving
forecourt walls with pilaster buttresses. Interior. The butler's pantry has original
cupboards flanking the fireplace, the panels with ogee shaped heads. The kitchen also
has original cupboards, some with butterfly hinges and others with raised and fielded
panelling. Fine staircase of four flights and two landings, open-string with three
balusters to each tread, except for attic flight which has only two, moulded and raked
rail and square, panelled newels.


Listing NGR: TF4208508817

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.