This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6524 / 52°39'8"N
Longitude: 0.0973 / 0°5'50"E
OS Eastings: 541971
OS Northings: 308142
OS Grid: TF419081
Mapcode National: GBR L1V.MFT
Mapcode Global: WHJPG.GLKF
Plus Code: 9F42M32W+XW
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161226
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48174
Location: Wisbech St. Mary, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Wisbech St. Mary
Built-Up Area: Wisbech St Mary
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Mary and Guyhirn with Rings End
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 40 NW WISBECH ST. MARY CHURCH ROAD
23.6.52 Church of St. Mary
Parish church mainly C14 but with C15 chancel and other alterations. Restored in
C19. West tower, C14 and of rubblestone with Barnack ashlar to west wall and to
quoins. Of four stages on a splayed plinth with angle buttressing also of four stages
and a later embattled parapet of brick. The gable end of the original nave roof is
visible in the east wall. C14 west doorway with hollow and roll moulding to a two-
centred arch. West window of three trefoil lights with vertical tracery in
two-centred arch. Bell stage has two trefoil openings with quatrefoil to head in two
centred arch. Nave of rubblestone, rendered with low pitch roof of slate and
bell-cote to east gable end. C15 clerestory of five windows, eahc of three cinquefoil
lights in four centred head. South aisle, repaired C18, has four C15 windows of three
cinquefoil lights in square heads. South porch, restored. Stone, rendered with two
stage diagonal buttressing and parapetted gable roof of slate. outer archway
two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the inner carried on attached shafts with
moulded capitals. Inner archway has two centred arch of two continuous chamfered
orders. C14 holy water stoup. Chancel. Rubblestone with dressed stone to window and
door openings. Steeply pitched roof of slate. East window, C15 of five cinquefoil
lights with vertical tracery in four-centred arch. North wall restored, C19.
Interior. Tower arch, C15, two-centred and of two wave moulded orders with inner on
responds of half-octagonal columns with embattled capitals. North and south arcades
of five bays. Two centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with
octagonal capitals and bases with square plinths. Chancel arch similar to nave
arcades with a window above of three cinquefoil lights in four centred head. Glazing
in east window is World War I war memorial. One tomb slab in nave to Thomas
Williamson, 1836 and another to Jane, his wife of 1837, of the Manor House, Station
Road, Wisbech St. Mary. The church has furniture, statuary fragments of carving and
glazing chiefly continental and C17 and C18.
VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.234.
Listing NGR: TF4197108142
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.