This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6611 / 52°39'39"N
Longitude: 0.0542 / 0°3'15"E
OS Eastings: 539030
OS Northings: 309017
OS Grid: TF390090
Mapcode National: GBR L1S.2KB
Mapcode Global: WHHN9.TC0T
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125921
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48135
Location: Parson Drove, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Parson Drove
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Southea with Murrow and Parson Drove
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 30 NE PARSON DROVE CHURCH END
9/60 (South Side)
The Old Rectory
Former rectory, c.1760, probably for Rev John Dickinson. Gault brick front wall, with
local brick to side and rear walls and Ketton limestone dressings to quoins, door and
window surrounds. Hipped, slate roof, pedimented to front with bulls eye window to
tympanum. End stacks. Plan of two rooms flanking hall. Two storeys and attic.
Range of three hung sashes with glazing bars, and two similar but larger windows at
ground floor. Central pedimented doorway with moulded architrave and pulvinated
frieze. Garden doorway at rear has a rusticated surround, raised key block and
moulded cornice. Adjoining to the east is a lower kitchen range, much altered.
Interior. Fine 1760 interior to one ground floor room. Cornice with cyma, egg and
dart and dentil mouldings. Richly carved surround to one window with fret pattern
between console brackets carved with acanthus and drops of husk ornament. Shouldered
fireplace surround of pine with some marble and above is a shouldered and ramped
overmantel with swan's neck pediment with shell motif. The staircase is also 1760 and
of four flights, closed-string with turned balusters, moulded rail and square newels.
Pevsner (Buildings of England), p.450.
W. Watson, History of Wisbech, 1827.
Listing NGR: TF3903009017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings