This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4549 / 52°27'17"N
Longitude: 0.051 / 0°3'3"E
OS Eastings: 539466
OS Northings: 286082
OS Grid: TL394860
Mapcode National: GBR L49.1QB
Mapcode Global: VHHHW.TKVF
Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul
Listing Date: 5 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48022
Location: Chatteris, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE16
Civil Parish: Chatteris
Built-Up Area: Chatteris
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Chatteris St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
1. MARKET HILL
Church of Ss Peter and Paul
In part 2 the twenty fourth line should be amended to read "Two centred arch with label
and two moulded orders with rounded responds with embattled capitals and moulded bases".
Church of SS Peter and Paul
TL 383852 7/109 5.7.50
C14 West Tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Repaired and altered 1910. Coursed
rubblestone with Barnack stone dressings. West Tower of 3 stages with restored
stepped battlements, small leaded spire and diagonal buttressing. Newel stair
with 2 quatrefoil cusp openings at south-east angle. String-courses between stages.
West door with continuous moulding and jamb shafts with moulded bases to 2 centred
arch and label. First stage with lancet window. Two trefoil openings in 2 centred
arch with label and stops to each facet of belfry stage. Interior of tower has
large, plain 2 centred arch to blind openings in north and south walls. East wall
with similar arch and doorway with deep mouldings and jamb shafts with moulded
capitals and bases. Label with one head stop. Above the doorway is a C15 niche with
trefoil head and flanking square shafts, diagonally set, with pinnacles. Stoop
recess to right hand of doorway. Plain tiled roof to nave with parapet to gable
end. Clerestorey with 6 circa 1910 windows of 2 cinquefoil lights in 2 centred
heads with moulded labels. Aisles widened and extended in 1910 to flank chancel.
Leaded roofs. South aisle with eight 2 stage buttresses and five 3 light windows
with cinquefoil heads. Four centred arches with labels, 2 with original head stops.
East end of south aisle has 2 C14 trefoil light windows in 2 centred heads and one
circa 1910 three cinquefoil light window with vertical tracery in 4 centred head.
Two porches to south aisle. One to south-west. C15 with diagonal buttressing.
Pedimented gable end with moulded coping. One to south-east circa 1910. Pedimented
gable end. Four centred, moulded stone arch to entry. Chancel roof of plain tiles
with parapet to gable end. Circa 1910 east window of 5 cinquefoil lights with flow-
ing tracery in 2 centred head. North aisle with 5 circa 1910 three light windows with
cinquefoil heads. Four centred heads and labels. One C14 three cinquefoil window in
4 centred head with label with head stops to west end of north aisle. Interior of
nave now of 6 bays, one to east added circa 1910. Octagonal columns with moulded
capitals and bases. Two centred arches of 2 orders with labels with head termina-
tions, some original. C14 chancel arch, re-erected circa 1910. Two centred arch
with label and 2 moulded bases. Upper and lower doorways to rood stair restored.
C14 font, plain octagon and shaft.
Listing NGR: TL3946686082
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings