This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2086 / 52°12'31"N
Longitude: 0.1207 / 0°7'14"E
OS Eastings: 545004
OS Northings: 258829
OS Grid: TL450588
Mapcode National: GBR L79.FCM
Mapcode Global: VHHK3.1RP7
Entry Name: 20-22, Jesus Lane
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47498
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB5
Electoral Ward/Division: Market
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Andrew the Great
Church of England Diocese: Ely
667/4/61 JESUS LANE
26-APR-50 (North side)
(Formerly listed as:
Two terraced houses; mid-C19; part of a terrace of four houses with C20 additional fifth house. Built of Gault brick with slate roofs.
The houses are of three storeys and each is two bays wide, with shared axial stacks. The south street elevation to the street has four windows to each house, with flat arches and twelve paned unhorned sashes. Their entrances are separated by windows (modern replacements), the panelled doors with over-lights recessed under round arches with tall brick keystones and stone imposts. A plat band runs between ground and first floor. The rear elevation contains a regular pattern of windows alternating between those at mezzanine level lighting stairwells, and those at floor level lighting rooms. Most windows are the original unhorned sashes. The remaining two houses of the C19 terrace and the C20 fifth house (No.19) are not of special interest.
The houses contain open string staircases with stick balusters, ramped and volute handrails and turned newel posts. They also retain ornate cast iron fireplaces, deep moulded cornices, skirting boards and architraves.
Nos.20 to 22 Jesus Lane are two houses in a terrace of originally four houses, probably built in c.1850. On the 1888 and 1903 OS maps the terrace is shown joined to a public house or inn (The Crown) at the west end, which by 1927 had been demolished to make way for an extended garage workshop for Marshall of Cambridge, who had acquired the block in 1912. The fifth house (which occupies the site of The Crown) also seems to have been built in the 1920s, but does not appear on the 1927 OS map. This shows the workshop extending from this plot across the land to the rear of the terrace, up to the boundary with Jesus College. Most recently the ground-floor of the additional house and the two C19 houses at the west end of the terrace have been used as a showroom for a soft furnishing store, with plate glass shop windows extending across the front elevation of all three. The workshop area contained an arcade of shops. The numbering of all five now runs from 19-22, with 19 incorporating the three houses that formed the shop (including the early C20 addition), while 20 and 22 refer to the two houses to the east.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: 20-22 Jesus Lane, two house that form part of a mid-C19 terrace of four houses, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: They form half of the original well balanced design of the terrace, retaining good quality architectural detail in a manner showing the enduring influence of the Georgian terrace.
* Interior: The interiors retain elegant and well crafted detail, (an indication of the status of the houses original residents).
* Group value: They have group value with other listed buildings in Jesus Lane, including Nos. 31, 33 and 34 (Grade II) and the Grade I listed Little Trinity.
Other nearby listed buildings