This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1996 / 52°11'58"N
Longitude: 0.1197 / 0°7'10"E
OS Eastings: 544964
OS Northings: 257820
OS Grid: TL449578
Mapcode National: GBR L7H.12L
Mapcode Global: VHHK3.1Z46
Entry Name: Fitzwilliam Museum and boundary wall, plinths and gates to the north-east
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Last Amended: 29 September 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47298
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Market
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mary the Less
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4457 NE 9/305 26.4.50.
This asset was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/01/2015.
Erected 1837-47 to the designs of George Basevi and completed by C R Cockerell. The building is one of the finest classical structures of the date in existence and contains rich internal work. Basevi was killed in 1845 and Cockerell completed the design with a dome over the staircase hall. The staircase itself was modified by E M Barry in 1870, and the whole completed in 1875. The north-east front has a colonnade in thirteen bays with the central bays set forward on an octastyle portico with pediment over; all Corinthian; the sculptural work being done by William Grinsell Nicholl and the tympanum being carved to the design of George Eastlake. The portico and colonnade have very elaborate plaster work; the bronze doors and their surrounds were designed by E M Barry. In the interior the galleries and library have points of interest, but the main features are in the Stairhall which was worked on by all three architects and their work is very hard to separate. The materials are marble and granite, the predominance of red being due to Barry; the arrangement of the staircase is probably to Basevi's design.
A seven-bay two-storey wing was added to the south-east elevation of the original building in 1921-2 (Marlay Galleries), and was extended with a cross-wing to the south in 1931 (Courtauld Galleries), both wings being designed by A Dunbar Smith of Smith & Brewer. The Courtauld Galleries were extended by a four-bay wing to the south-east in 1936, a block to the north-west corner in 1955, and a cube to the south-west corner in 1963-4, designed by David Roberts. The brick-faced extension to the south-east of the Courtauld Galleries was built to the designs of D Roberts & G Clarke in 1973-5, and created an internal courtyard, which was infilled by a glazed extension in 2002-4 by John Miller & Partners.
Listing NGR: TL4494657882
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings