This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2978 / 52°17'52"N
Longitude: 0.44 / 0°26'23"E
OS Eastings: 566479
OS Northings: 269438
OS Grid: TL664694
Mapcode National: GBR N96.XQQ
Mapcode Global: VHJGB.KHYT
Entry Name: Stable Block
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 31 January 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48989
Location: Chippenham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Chippenham
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Chippenham St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 66 NE CHIPPENHAM CHIPPENHAM PARK
6/64 Stable Block
1.12.51 (formerly listed as
Stabling and Barn at
Stable block, late C17, built by Edward Russell (b.1653-d.1727)
later Lord Orford. Small local red/brown bricks with lighter
red bricks in jambs of openings and quoins, and light red gauged
bricks to window and door arches and band at first floor and
attic floors. Steeply pitched, hipped roofs with C19 slate.
Symmetrical plan, carriage way through central block of two
storeys with clock tower flanked by two wings of seven 'bays'
each terminated by blocks of one storey with attics and two
'bays'. Central block has coach house on either side of arch,
four sixteen-paned hung sash windows with original muff glass at
first floor and triangular pediment with two round windows each
with original leaded lights. Wooden, lead lined clock tower,
square plan with clock face in each elevation surmounted on an
open arched bell canopy with deeply moulded cornice and
ogee-shaped leaded roof with weather vane. Three bells chime
the hour. The clock, housed on the attic floor is dated '1793
Fra Perigal, Bond Street, London' and replaces earlier clock.
Fenestration of wings and end blocks altered in C19 when stables
were converted to offices and workshops. Each wing has three
gabled dormer windows and casement windows in reduced original
openings. Blind windows with round windows survive in end
blocks. Lead water cistern to left hand dated 1769, carved
brick dated 1767. Attached barn to east C19 re-using C17 brick
in its construction with C19 brick lacing courses; roof of six
bays plain tiled and hipped; wall to north earlier, possibly
C17. The house was visited by Ceilia Fiennes in 1698 and the
clock tower is graphically described in her journal.
Estate Map of Lord Orfords Estate 1712, C.R.O.
Barber R W. History of Chippenham, pp.25-30, 1897
Morris C. The Illustrated Journeys of Ceilia Fiennes, p.140-1,
Pevsner. Buildings in England, p.322
O.S. Maps, 1885, 1903
Listing NGR: TL6647969438
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings