This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6641 / 52°39'50"N
Longitude: 0.1597 / 0°9'34"E
OS Eastings: 546149
OS Northings: 309560
OS Grid: TF461095
Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.Z2C
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.F98H
Entry Name: 11, the Crescent
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48234
Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Wisbech
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
WISBECH THE CRESCENT
6/35 No. 11
Terrace house built c.1797 in two terraces linked by pair of
houses sharing common pedimented facade dated 1808 and the
Weslyan Chapel, 1803 built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827),
as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate. Local brown
brick; slate roof, side stack. Three storeys and basement; two
'bays', Stone coping to parapet, and bands at first and second
floors. One sixteen-paned, and one twelve-paned recessed hung
sash windows at second floor in cambered gauged red brick arches
and stone cills. Two larger first floor windows and one ground
floor window without glazing bars in similar openings. Entrance
to right hand approached by two stone steps with six-panelled
door and fanlight with patterned glazing bars in double recessed
round-headed arch of gauged brick. Interior has original
staircase with patterned wooden panels to balustrade of small
NMR (C. Godfrey, photographic collection of Wisbech) 1982.
Colvin, p.386, 1954.
VCH Cambs, p.242.
G. Annis, A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977.
Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278, 1849.
Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.
Listing NGR: TF4614909560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings