This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.664 / 52°39'50"N
Longitude: 0.1598 / 0°9'35"E
OS Eastings: 546156
OS Northings: 309548
OS Grid: TF461095
Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.Z2D
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.F99L
Entry Name: 9, the Crescent
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48232
Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Wisbech
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
WISBECH THE CRESCENT
6/33 No. 9
Terrace house built c.1797 in two terraces linked by pair of
houses sharing common pedimented facade dated 1808 and the
Weslyan Chapel, 1803 built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827),
as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate. Local brown
brick, slate roof and side stack. Three storeys and basement
with irregular window pattern to street facade. Stone coped
parapet with painted stone band at first and second floor. One
sixteen-paned, first floor, and one, twelve-paned recessed hung
sash window at second floor in cambered gauged red brick arches
with stone cills. Late C19 ground floor, three-light hung sash
window with stone cornice supported on console brackets. Six-
panelled door with plain fanlight in recessed, round-headed,
gauged red brick arch, approached by two stone steps. Interior
has an open string staircase, two arches, one with reeded
NMR (C. Godfrey photographic collection of Wisbech) 1982.
Colvin, p.386, 1954.
VCH Cambs, p.242.
G. Annis, A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977.
Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278, 1849.
Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.
Listing NGR: TF4615609548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings