History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railway Engine Sheds and Workshops at National Grid Reference 196 979

A Grade II Listed Building in Fletton and Stanground, City of Peterborough

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5663 / 52°33'58"N

Longitude: -0.2373 / 0°14'14"W

OS Eastings: 519569

OS Northings: 297955

OS Grid: TL195979

Mapcode National: GBR HZX.0TR

Mapcode Global: WHHNK.BR7H

Entry Name: Railway Engine Sheds and Workshops at National Grid Reference 196 979

Listing Date: 6 August 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1126895

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49783

Location: Peterborough, PE2

County: City of Peterborough

Electoral Ward/Division: Fletton and Stanground

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Fletton St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Peterborough

Listing Text

The following buildings shall be added to the list:-

PETERBOROUGH STATION ROAD
TL 19 NE
0/10001 Railway engine sheds and
workshops at NGR 196 979
GV II
Railway engine sheds and workshops. 1848 for the Great Eastern
and Midland Railway Companies. Stock brick with some stone
dressings. Slate roof with coped gable ends. Brick axial and
lateral stacks with stone cornices. Plan: Pair of large parallel
adjoining engine sheds with workshop range across the west end.
Exterior: 1 storey. The north and south sides of the engine sheds
each have eleven bays of double recessed round-arch windows, some
retaining cast-iron window frames with glazing bars, some
blocked; centre bay has narrow blind round arch in lateral stack,
the south stack truncated; 2 large entrances in east end gables
with steel girder lintels. The workshop range at west end has 9-
bay west front with large segmentally arched windows, mostly
blocked, and the centre with later porch. The workshop and south
engine shed have raised ridge ventilators with louvred sides, the
workshop range with pair of stacks at centre. Interior: timber
roof trusses, large water tank with cast-iron base. 6 tracks in
place and pits survive under concrete floor.
Note: The sheds were used jointly by the Great Eastern and
Midland Railway Companies until 1872 when the Great Eastern took
over the whole shed. Remained in railway use until the 1950s.


Listing NGR: TL1956997955

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.