This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6049 / 52°36'17"N
Longitude: -0.2541 / 0°15'14"W
OS Eastings: 518329
OS Northings: 302224
OS Grid: TF183022
Mapcode National: GBR HZ9.NL1
Mapcode Global: WHHNC.2S8C
Entry Name: The Rectory
Listing Date: 7 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49744
Location: Peterborough, PE4
County: City of Peterborough
Electoral Ward/Division: Paston and Walton
Built-Up Area: Peterborough
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Paston
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
The following building shall be upgraded to Grade II* (star):-
18/47 No 206
- 7.2.52 II
and the entry shall be amended to read:-
TF 1802 PASSION
18/47 No 206
- 7.2.52 II*
Rectory, now private house. Circa C13-C14, early and late C16 and
C19. Limestone with ashlar east front. Limestone tile roofs with
gabled ends. Brick and stone axial and lateral stacks; S wing has
brick axial stack with 4 conjoined octagonal shafts of moulded
Plan: H-shaped plan. The main range probably a C13-14 aisled
hall; the E end of the N cross-wing possibly also medieval but
remodelled as a 2-storey porch in circa late C16; S cross-wing
probably early C16 has projection at centre of S side. The space
between the cross-wings on the E side of the hall is an early to
mid C19 addition.
Exterior: 2 storeys, part with attic. 1:3:1 bay east front in
ashlar. Gabled cross wings to left and right with moulded coping,
finials, 4-light moulded stone mullion windows; right hand cross-
wing 2 storeys and attic, formerly a porch with blocked round
arch doorway with imposts, spandrels and moulded cornice above.
Single storey centre 3 bays projects, has battlements, 2 large
12-pane sashes and doorway on left with fielded 6-panel door with
overlight with integral lantern; hoodmoulds. LH (S) return
asymmetrical 2:1:2 bays; gable on left with 2 large 12-pane
sashes and French casement below; gabled projection at centre
with 2-light stone mullion windows, 2 bays to right with 12-pane
sashes on ground floor and 2-light casements above with
intersecting glazing bars and hoodmoulds.
Interior: S cross-wing has pilastered stone fireplace with
panelled overmantel; room above has fireplace with 4-centred
timber lintel and the room behind (W) has C18 panelling and
ceiling cornice. Inside the roof of the main hall range are 3
pairs of trussed rafters, each with 2 collars halved and lap-
jointed with diagonal soffit pegs; the trusses set on wall-plates
about 4'6" inside the walls. At S end of main range a C16 clasped
purlin roof with collar trusses and wind-braces.
Sources: VCH Northants. Vol II p 512.
RCHM Peterborough New Town, 'A Survey of the
Antiquities in the areas of development'. HMSO 1969
pp 57, 58, 59. w
TF 1802 18/47 7.2.52.
2 storey H-plan building in stone with some brick. Stone slate roof. Main
north-south range is of mediaeval origin. The north-east wing has stone
walls on the lower storey which may be of mediaeval origin, but was remodelled
to form a 2-storey porch in the late Cl6. The south-east wing is probably
of the early C16. In the C19 a single storey extension was built between
the 2 wings and the north end of the house was enlarged. Stone mullioned
casement windows. Shaped finials on gables. Attractive row of red brick
and stone chimneys. Interior:- oak panelling and stone fireplaces.
See:- VCH Vol II p 5l2; RCHM.
Listing NGR: TF1832902224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings