History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

106, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Bottisham, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2196 / 52°13'10"N

Longitude: 0.2617 / 0°15'42"E

OS Eastings: 554596

OS Northings: 260341

OS Grid: TL545603

Mapcode National: GBR M8M.T5D

Mapcode Global: VHHK5.HG6T

Entry Name: 106, High Street

Listing Date: 15 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127079

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49292

Location: Bottisham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Bottisham

Built-Up Area: Bottisham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Bottisham Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Swaffham Bulbeck

Listing Text

TL 5460 BOTTISHAM HIGH STREET
(South West Side)

11/19 No. 106

II

Farmhouse 1725 (referred to in a building contract of 14 October
1725 between Trustees of St Bartholomews Hospital and William
Chapman and William Roberts). In c1875 the facade of this house
was obscured by the addition of a new range to the front.
Original house of red brick, English bond with a steeply pitched
gabled roof, tiled. End stacks. Symmetrical plan of kitchen
and parlour flanking a narrower hall and stairbay. Two storeys
and attics. The fenestration to the gable ends is later. the
front range c1875 is of grey brick with a tiled roof and end
stacks. Two storeys. Raised and shouldered surrounds to three
hung sashes of four panels each. Central doorway with raised
surround and round headed arch. At the rear is a service range,
early C18, with a storey added and roof raised. Red brick,
English bond. There is a straight joint between this range and
the 1725 block. Within the curtilage are four early C19 cast
iron boundary posts each with a bell shaped finial and a
cartouche with initials ST B.H. One remains in its original
location. Inside there is an original closed-string staircase
with turned balusters, moulded rail and square newel with
finial. In the service range there is a tie beam, probably
reused, with mortices for uprights. Building work has confirmed
that the openings shown in the elevation to the 1725 building
contract are the same as those in the original house. These
would have been cross-frame casements. The principal difference
between this house and the elevation shown in the drawing
attached to the 1725 building contract is that the house was
built with a gabled rather than a hipped roof.

Barley M.W: The English Farmhouse and Cottage, plate XXIII
R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p9, mon (12)


Listing NGR: TL5459660341

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.