History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0574 / 52°3'26"N

Longitude: 0.3697 / 0°22'11"E

OS Eastings: 562565

OS Northings: 242540

OS Grid: TL625425

Mapcode National: GBR ND0.Y14

Mapcode Global: VHJHG.CKB4

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127134

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51255

Location: Castle Camps, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Castle Camps

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Castle Camps All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hempstead

Listing Text

CASTLE CAMPS CHURCH LANE
TL 64 SW
10/60
Church of All
22.11.67 Saints
GV II*
Parish Church. C13 origin. C15 nave and west tower. Restorations of 1850,
1855, 1876-1880. Flint, rubble and fieldstone and clunch and limestone
dressings. West tower, nave, south porch chancel. West tower rebuilt c1851
following a fire. Three stages with embattled parapet, diagonal buttressing
and two stage moulded plinth. West window with foiled head and bell stage
with two light openings with foiled head and two centred arch. The aisleless
nave has on south side two restored C15 windows with vertical tracery. The
south porch rebuilt 1855. Inner archway, C15 clunch. Two centred arch of
continuous hollow moulding in square head, with foiled spandrels and ogee
outer moulding. Chancel has reset C13 south doorway. Two chamfered orders
in two centred arch. Interior: Two centred tower arch of two chamfered
orders. Nave roof reconstructed 1915 and in four bays and three trusses.
Moulded tie beam with crown posts and downward bracing. Jackposts with
bracing to the ties. Chancel arch two centred and of two chamfered orders
with half octagonal responds. Font C13. Octagonal bowl of limestone on
original stern and base with four modern reproduction shafts. Communion rail
late C17. Oak, moulded rail, turned balusters, square newels, panelled with
finials. Monuments: south wall of nave, reset, Thomas Wakefield (1610);
Sir James Reynolds (1717) standing wall monument of white and grey marble
sarcophagus with pyramid.

RCHM: Record card 1949
Pevsner: Buildings of England p314

Listing NGR: TL6256542540

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.