This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2588 / 52°15'31"N
Longitude: 0.0042 / 0°0'15"E
OS Eastings: 536890
OS Northings: 264183
OS Grid: TL368641
Mapcode National: GBR K57.7XC
Mapcode Global: VHHJV.1H38
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127241
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50994
Location: Lolworth, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Lolworth
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Lolworth All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 36SE LOLWORTH CHURCH LANE
10/88 Parish Church
31.8.62 of All Saints
Parish church. Early C12 and C13 re-used stone fragments.
Chancel and blocked north and south aisles early C14; later C14
tower. South porch rebuilt 1902. Restorations 1891 and
1914-18. Walls of limestone rubble, fieldstones, brick and
re-used ashlar; dressings of freestone and clunch; slate roofs.
South elevation. West tower of two stages with plain parapet
and angle buttresses and moulded plinth band. Belfry window of
two-cinquefoil-lights and quatrefoil. Blocked arcades of four
bays with clunch infill and brick repairs, three reset late C14
aisle windows each of three-cinquefoil lights in four-centred
arches with labels. South porch modern; south doorway,
two-centred arch with continuous mouldings also reset. Chancel
reduced in length, east wall C19, large two-light flat-arched
window, priest's door with continuous moulded two-centred arch
and jambs. Interior. C14 tower and chancel arches. C19 roofs;
boarded five bayed nave roof with crown posts. Gaps in nave
arcade blocking show octagonal clunch piers with moulded caps,
and two-centred arches. Interior wall of tower lined with
clunch, graffiti on tower arch, C16 belfry stair door. Chancel
reduced in height, original windows blocked with splays and
springing of rear arches visible. Font, late C14 clunch
octagonal bowl with quatrefoil panels. Fragments of medieval
screen in tower. Church yard cross base in nave with socket for
shaft. C13 coffin lid reset in tower floor. Brass to Margaret
Cutts 1610, for other monuments see R.C.H.M. Panel painting of
Raising of Lazarus, Flemish, C17. Royal arms 'GR 1721' in
pediment, and decalogue, reproduced 1983, from original in
tower. C19 memorial glass. Wall painting, C14, of Doubting
Thomas, on nave wall now painted over. The Church is said to
have been re-dedicated in 1406; much of the village was burnt in
a fire in 1393.
Cole MSS. CRO.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs mon.l, p.170
Pevsner. Buildings of England p.431
Listing NGR: TL3689064183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.