History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Cottenham, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2971 / 52°17'49"N

Longitude: 0.1317 / 0°7'53"E

OS Eastings: 545461

OS Northings: 268694

OS Grid: TL454686

Mapcode National: GBR L64.XTK

Mapcode Global: VHHJQ.7JGC

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127322

English Heritage Legacy ID: 50777

Location: Cottenham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB24

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Cottenham

Built-Up Area: Cottenham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Cottenham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Willingham

Listing Text

TL 4568 COTTENHAM HIGH STREET
(North West Side)

13/35 No. 2 (The Old Rectory)
31.8.62

II


Rectory, late C17 and late C19. The late C17 part is mostly of
pink and red brick with broad mortar courses and the C19 part of
larger, machine made bricks. Hipped roofs, plain tiled with
wood, modillion eaves cornice and late C17 side stack to right
hand crosswing. The ridge stack to the hall range is C19 as is
the side stack to the left hand crosswing. The house retains
its original plan of hall with two crosswings. Two storeys and
attics. Three window bays to the hall range and two to each of
the crosswings. The hall range is late C17 but the first floor
was rebuilt in late C19. Ground floor has original late C17
cambered arches to flush frame later C19 hung sashes of fifteen
panes each on either side of central doorway in original round
headed arch. The flush panelled door is C19 but the fanlight
with radial glazing bars is possibly late C17. Above, the late
C19 first floor has three recessed hung sashes of twelve panes
each. One dormer. Right hand crosswing is late C17. Band
between storeys. One dormer. C19 flush frame hung sashes of
twelve panes each and full length hung sashes at ground floor.
Left hand crosswing has similar fenestration but recessed
Interior: There are opposing front and rear doorways to the
hall. The cantilevered staircase is late C18 or early C19 and
has spindle balusters, shaped rail and curtail. Internally the
house was much altered possibly in late C19. In 1696 a licence
was granted by the Bishop of Ely to Thomas Jekyll, the rector of
Cottenham, to demolish the West wing and part of the great hall
of the house. He was given permission to rebuild the crosswing
and the hall, with a cellar and six rooms to the crosswing. The
present wing conforms to the licence, but the brickwork and
interior details are late C19, suggesting either a complete
rebuild or casing of the late C17 wing and first floor of hall.
Cole MSS 5847/83


Listing NGR: TL4546168694

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.