This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2966 / 52°17'47"N
Longitude: 0.1324 / 0°7'56"E
OS Eastings: 545516
OS Northings: 268636
OS Grid: TL455686
Mapcode National: GBR L64.Y17
Mapcode Global: VHHJQ.7JWS
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127339
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50749
Location: Cottenham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB24
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Cottenham
Built-Up Area: Cottenham
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cottenham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4568 COTTENHAM HIGH STREET
13/7 Church of All Saints
Parish church, of C13 origins but mostly rebuilt in C15 and the
upper stages of the West tower are 1617. Restored C19 and C20.
The early C13 parts of the church including the lower stages of
the West tower and the chancel arch are of limestone ashlar, but
the C15 part of the church is of sandstone rubble and the 1617
upper stages of the West tower are of pink brick. Embattled
mansard roofs, C19, leaded, to nave, chancel and North and South
porches. Plan of West tower, nave with North and South aisles,
North and South Porches and chancel. West tower, C13 with the
two upper stages rebuilt in 1617. Four stages, on splayed
plinth. Embattled parapet with four corner bulbous ogee finials
of 1617. West doorway, C13 of two hollow moulded orders in two
centred arch with label. West window of four lights with
intersecting tracery (restored) in two centred arch. The bell
chamber openings have C13 intersecting tracery in the heads, and
were probably reset c.1617. There is a sundial on the South
West buttress, and the clock was rebuilt and restored c.1980.
The stair turret is in the North East angle. Nave, C15 rebuilt
on site of C13 church. Embattled parapet, with moulded main
cornice and beast gargoyles above clerestory of five windows,
each of two cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery. The South
aisle and porch is contemporary with the nave and has similar
but larger fenestration. The chancel is also C15, but the
fenestration is restored. Interior: The nave is in five bays.
Two centred arches of two hollow moulded orders on octagonal
columns with moulded capitals and bases. Continuous moulded
label with mask stops above the nave arcades. The chancel arch
is early C13 double chamfered but the responds are C15, half
round with half octagonal capitals. C15 piscina and three seat
sedilia in four bays, each with four centred foiled arch on
columns with engaged shafts, in square heads with frieze of
quatrefoils above. Wall monument, North wall of chancel Mrs
Alice Rogers and son Richard Dacres, White marble cartouche
with drapery and cherubs heads beneath crest. Font, octagonal
bowl on octagonal stem, C15.
Pevsner. Buildings of England p.325
R.C.H.M. record card
Listing NGR: TL45516 68636
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings