History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Milton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2442 / 52°14'39"N

Longitude: 0.1666 / 0°9'59"E

OS Eastings: 548020

OS Northings: 262883

OS Grid: TL480628

Mapcode National: GBR M89.6XY

Mapcode Global: VHHJX.TVYF

Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127349

English Heritage Legacy ID: 50663

Location: Milton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB24

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Milton

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Milton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Waterbeach

Listing Text

TL 4862-4962 MILTON CHURCH LANE
(East Side)
17/116 Parish Church of
31.8.62 All Saints

II*

Parish Church. Norman chancel arch and east nave wall, nave
arcades c.1300. Aisles widened in early C15; north aisle
demolished in 1779 and rebuilt 1864; south aisle restored 1855,
and south porch 1847 with original stone bench. Chancel C13
with C15 priests' door and south window, rebuilt except for
south wall 1847, chancel roof designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.
Nave clerestorey early C16 and roof with ceiling inserted by Rev
Knight (Rector 1776-1790), nave possibly extended in late C14
(with C16 fenestration) to C14 tower with embattled parapet and
finials C15. Vestry 1972, with plans to link south aisle to new
building 1983. Walls of Barnack limestone and limestone ashlar
and rubble plastered, brick repairs, limestone and clunch
dressings. Plain tile roofs with modern tiles to chancel.
South elevation; tower of three stages with moulded plinth and
embattled parapet with corner finials; single light square
headed belfry windows. Clerestorey, two three-light windows
with four-centred heads and sunk spandrels, nave window of four
similar lights with square head and drip mould. South porch,
modern with south doorway seen by Wm Cole in 1744 possibly C16
copy of Norman arch. Two, restored, south aisle windows with
two cinquefoil lights. Chancel, C15 three-cinquefoil light
window and priests' door with head stops. Chancel east wall
monument to Ths Cannon 1726. Interior. Nave arcades of three
bays with shortened bay to west including original porch to
south. Piers, quatrefoil in plan with fillets between, bell
capitals and bases; two-centred arches of two hollow chamfered
orders. South aisle with defaced C15 niche, piscena with shelf,
and locker rebated for door. Nave roof of four bays with braced
moulded tie beams and centre drop finials with rosettes.
Moulded intermediate posts die in late C18 plastered ceiling,
cornice with embattled and banner decoration. Aisle roofs
modern. Chancel arch plain round-headed with roll moulding to
nave springing from plain shafted capitals. Two-centred arched
niche to alter C13. Chancel roof rebuilt; C13 double piscena
with arch to west possibly reduced for inserted sedilia, plain
aumbrey to east. Tower arch two-centred of two chamfered
orders. Font C13 plain octagonal bowl. Brass with two robed
figures and small brass insets of five children inscribed 'Pray
for the soul of William Coke Knight one of the Kings Justices
died 1553', and 'without law the People come to ruin'. Wall
monuments, i) to Elizabeth wife of Samuel Knight 1800, marble
with two sculptred figures by Flaxman, ii) to Samuel Knight
1823 marble with draped altar stone and dove by Chantrey, iii)
to Samuel Knight 1835 and widow 1844, plain pedimented marble
slab by A. Swinton, Camb, and iv) brass plate inscribed John
Harris 1659 with small incised kneeling figures and shield of
arms. Glass in east window of north aisle, Flemish C17 removed
1983 for alterations. South aisle window with three shields of
arms including the arms of Margaret of Anjou, foundress of
Queens College. Chancel east window glass of note, and in south
porch by Constable of Cambridge, glass in south aisle with
intitial I.P.B. 1845. Some reused C17 panelling in pews and
carved panelled door to vestry, fine C17 communion table. Choir
stalls with misericords C15 possibly faced each other. Altar
rail C17 from Kings College chapel introduced by Wm Cole in
1779. Royal arms from Landbeach church above south door.
Clay, W.K. History of Milton 1868
C.A.S. Vol. 7, p. 106, 1888-1891
Humphries, K.P. Transcription of Wm Coke brass 1969
Gunnis, R. p. 91, p. 147
Art Journal 1868 (Flaxman)
Pevsner: Buildings of England p. 442


Listing NGR: TL4802062883

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.